Ukrainian authorities said Wednesday that it was “unlikely” that Belarus’ President Alexander Lukashenko would issue an order to launch a military operation against the country “in the near future”.
“It is unlikely that Lukashenko will order his army to conduct a ground operation against Ukraine in the near future,” said Vadim Denisenko, adviser to Ukraine’s Interior Ministry, according to Ukrainian news agency Ukrinform.
He pointed out that the Belarusian army is conducting maneuvers near the border, although he said the situation was “relatively calm”. “For this reason, unfortunately, Ukraine has to concentrate and leave enough troops on the border with Belarus,” he explained.
Alexei Arestovich, one of the advisers to the Ukrainian Presidency, made the same point, stating that Kyiv “does not see any signs of preparations for an offensive against Ukrainian territory,” UNIAN news agency reported.
“There are no particular concerns. It didn’t work the first time, there’s no way they will do it a second time. The situation has changed,” he argued, stressing that there is a “minimum number” of Russian soldiers in Belarus and that Moscow has no offensive groups in that country.
Belarus announced last week that the armed forces have begun a series of exercises to assess their combat capacity’s readiness in the face of a possible “crisis” amid Russia’s offensive against Ukraine, which was launched on February 24 by order of the Russian president. , Wladimir Putin.