MADRID, Oct. 7 (EUROPE PRESS) –
The American president, Donald Trump, has reaffirmed his decision to allow a Turkish offensive in northeastern Syria, defending that the time has come for the United States to leave “these ridiculous endless wars” and others to seek a way out.
The president has denounced in a series of messages on Twitter that although “the United States was supposed to be in Syria for 30 days”, the conflict has been prolonged and the country has been increasingly involved in the contest “without a objective in sight. ”
He has also criticized his European partners for not taking charge of their citizens who fought alongside the Islamic State, which he said Washington “quickly defeated” after his arrival at the White House, after they were arrested.
“Europe did not want them back, they said we would stay in the United States,” he denounced, stressing that Washington did them “a great favor” and that staying in US prisons would be “a tremendous cost.”
“It is up to you to judge them,” he insisted, but European countries have refused to believe, “as always, that the United States is the 'fool' in NATO, in commerce, in everything.”
As for the Syrian Kurdish forces, which Washington has supported so far and who fought to defeat the Islamic State after receiving “large amounts of money and material to do so,” Trump recalled that “they have been fighting Turkey for decades.” .
“I have endured this fight for almost three years, but the time has come to get out of these ridiculous endless wars, many of them tribal, and bring our soldiers back home,” the US president has defended. “We will fight wherever our benefit is and we will only fight to win,” he stressed.
On the other hand, he has argued that “Turkey, Europe, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Russia and the Kurds will now have to resolve the situation and what they want to do with the Islamic State fighters captured in their 'neighborhood'”.
“They all hate Islamic State, they have been enemies for years. We are 7,000 miles away and we will crush Islamic State again if they approach us,” Trump promised.
The White House announced on Sunday that Trump has decided to give a 'green light' to a Turkish military offensive against Kurdish forces present in northern Syria, allies of Washington in the fight against the Islamic State.
In his statement, he stressed that Trump has spoken with his counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and that “Turkey will soon begin its long-planned operation in northern Syria,” which is an important turn of US policy in the country.
“The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation,” he said, before adding that these forces “after defeating the United States' territorial caliphate, will not be in the immediate area.”
He has also reiterated that Washington “has pressured France, Germany and other German countries, where many captured Islamic State fighters arrived, who accept them back, but do not love them and have refused.”
“The United States will not take care of them for what could be many years and a great cost for the US taxpayer,” he said, while pointing out that “Turkey will now be responsible” for jihadists captured in the area.
Trump's decision opens the door to a Turkish military offensive in northern Syria against the Kurdish militia Popular Protection Units (YPG), the main element of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDS), supported by Washington in the fight against the Islamic State.