Skip to content

Today Was the Deadliest for Journalists in Afghanistan Since at Least 2002

April 30, 2018

“No worry man, I am here,” he said by WhatsApp, in a message later published by AFP.

Moments later, the second bomb exploded.

Four broadcasters for Afghan news outlets were also killed, according to Nai, an Afghan nongovernmental organization working on media freedom. Radio Free Europe later said three of its current or future employees had died, bringing the total news media death toll to nine.

Today Was the Deadliest for Journalists in Afghanistan Since at Least 2002Today Was the Deadliest for Journalists in Afghanistan Since at Least 2002

One of those killed, Yar Mohammad Tokhi, a 54-year-old cameraman for Tolonews, was due to be married this month, said a friend and former colleague, Rateb Noori.

A second casualty, Abadullah Hanazai, a 28-year-old reporter for RFE/RL in Kabul, was his family’s main breadwinner, and had been married just seven months, according to his colleague Ibrahim Safi.

The BBC announced that a tenth journalist — a 29-year-old reporter for the BBC Afghan service, Ahmad Shah — had been shot in a separate attack in Khost Province by unknown gunmen.

In a third attack in Afghanistan on Monday, a suicide bomber rammed a vehicle into an armored Romanian vehicle beside a mosque outside the southern city of Kandahar, setting off an explosion that killed 11 children and injured 16 others, officials said.

In a fourth incident, in eastern Afghanistan, one American soldier was killed and another wounded on Monday, the United States Army announced.

Receive Breaking News !

Install
×
Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks