Skip to content

TikTok promises to fight the White House ban with “all available means”

August 10, 2020

The company said it was “shocked” by the executive order.

4 min read

TikTok promises to fight the White House ban with “all available means”TikTok promises to fight the White House ban with “all available means”

This story originally appeared on Engadget

TikTok released a statement on the White House’s plan to ban its popular app in the US, saying it was “shocked” by the executive order and would respond in court if necessary. The order President Trump issued this weekend means that Tick ​​tock it could vanish in the American Union in 45 days if nothing changes.

“We are shocked by the latest executive order that was issued without due process,” the company said in the statement. “We will seek all available resources to ensure that the rule of law is not ruled out and that our business and our users are treated fairly, if not by the administration, then by the US courts.”

The rationale for the ban by the White House It was a “national information and communication technology and service supply chain emergency”. The administration is also concerned that TikTok “automatically collects large amounts of information from its users, including Internet and other network activity information such as location data and search and browsing history.”

“We make it clear that TikTok has never given user data to the Chinese government or censored content at their request. In fact, we make our moderation guidelines and the source code of the algorithm available in our transparency center. This is a level of responsibility to which no company is committed. We have even expressed our willingness to sell the American business entirely to an American company. ”

However, TikTok replied that its attempts to address these concerns had been blocked by the government. “What we found instead was that the administration was disregarding the facts, dictating the terms of an agreement without going through the usual legal process, and trying to get involved in negotiations between private companies,” he wrote. The last part likely relates to Trump’s comments on the possible purchase of TikTok through Microsoft and that a portion of the proceeds should go to the US Treasury Department.

TikTok previewed their legal case, saying the order was based on unnamed “reports” with no specific quotes. He also noted that the Trump administration said the app could be used for disinformation with no evidence to suggest.
Learn more:

The company affirmed that “TikTok has never disclosed user data to the Chinese government or censored content at their request.” It added that it is one of the few social media companies that makes its moderation guidelines and algorithm source code publicly available, and that it has even offered to sell its US business to a US company.

TikTok’s response was eagerly awaited, as was a potentially protracted legal battle. The White House has also threatened to ban TenCent’s Chinese app WeChat. However, he said he would not take any action against other Tencent properties, particularly games and game companies like the popular battle royale title PUBG.

Receive Breaking News !

Install
×
Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks