The US will submit a resolution to the Security Council to tighten sanctions against North Korea

US Permanent Representative to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield announced Friday that the United States will submit a resolution to the United Nations Security Council to tighten sanctions against North Korea in response to Thursday’s launch of an ICBM.

“The United States strongly condemns the launch by North Korea of ​​an ICBM on March 24 (…) It poses a threat to the global proliferation regime and to the entire international community. This launch requires an immediate response from the Council,” Thomas-Greenfield said at a session of the UN Security Council.

According to the US Ambassador, two of North Korea’s 13 ballistic missile launches so far this year would be ICBM systems that “can threaten almost all member states of the United Nations.”

The US will submit a resolution to the Security Council to tighten sanctions against North Korea
The US will submit a resolution to the Security Council to tighten sanctions against North Korea

For the United States, “now is not the time to end sanctions,” and it has urged all member states to “fully implement existing Security Council resolutions.” “The United States will introduce a Chapter 7 Security Council resolution to update and strengthen the sanctions regime,” he said.

“North Korea has escalated its provocations with impunity while the Council has remained silent. And it is clear that to remain silent and hope that the country will show similar restraint is a failed strategy,” he stressed, urging other countries to look into the “sanctions regime” because “it what is undeniable is that it has restricted the advance of illegal weapons” from Pyongyang.

On the other hand, the G7 foreign ministers called on North Korea this Friday to “completely, demonstrably and irreversibly” abandon its programs to develop weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles.

In a statement, the ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom, along with European Union High Representative for Foreign Affairs Josep Borrell, condemned Korea’s “continuous testing” of ballistic missiles. North and have recalled that the country has conducted an “unprecedented” series of missile tests since early 2022, based on ballistic missile tests in 2021.

They have asserted that the humanitarian emergency in North Korea “is due to the fact” that the government is “devoting its resources to weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles and not to the well-being of the people”.

In addition, they have urged Pyongyang to “fully” comply with all legal obligations stemming from relevant Security Council resolutions and have asked it to accept “repeated offers of dialogue” from all parties involved, including the United States, South Korea, and Japan , to accept .

North Korean authorities confirmed on Friday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un witnessed the test launch of the Hwasong-17 ICBM on Thursday, the first such test since 2017.

Similar Posts