Secretary of Defense of the United States, Lloyd Austin, announced this Thursday that the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan is proceeding “slightly” faster than expected.
“I can tell you that the withdrawal situation is progressing at a good pace, a little earlier than planned,” Austin told the House Appropriations Committee during a meeting to discuss the 2022 defense budget.
Austin did not provide any details, however, and representatives on that committee did not delve into the matter during a scheduled meeting to decide how the $ 715,000 million expected to be awarded to the Pentagon will be allocated, the newspaper said reported. “The Hill”.
Following the agreement reached between Donald Trump’s administration and the Taliban last year, current President of the United States, Joe Biden, wants all military personnel to leave Afghanistan before September 11, coinciding with the twentieth anniversary of the 2001 attacks.
This week the United States Central Command (Centcom) reported that the process was between 16 and 25 percent complete, although it did not provide an exact number of troops that have already left the country for security reasons.
Centcom has determined that 160 C-17 cargo planes have already been withdrawn and more than 10,000 pieces of equipment have been delivered to the defense logistics agency for destruction. In addition, the United States has already given control of five bases to the Afghan government.