The United Nations sends its condolences to the 17 victims of a dynamite truck explosion in Ghana

The United Nations this Friday sent its condolences to the 17 victims of the explosion of a truck full of dynamite between the cities of Bogoso and Bawdie in western Ghana, which also injured 57 other people.

UN Resident Coordinator in Ghana Charles Abani said the team was “deeply saddened” by the loss of life and property and called the blast “tragic”.

“He offers the deepest condolences of the United Nations to the families of the victims and also commends the work of the first responders,” Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the United Nations Secretary-General, said in a statement.

The United Nations sends its condolences to the 17 victims of a dynamite truck explosion in Ghana
The United Nations sends its condolences to the 17 victims of a dynamite truck explosion in Ghana

The explosion was caused by a vehicle transporting dynamite from Tarkwa to a mine in Chirano, which allegedly collided with a motorcycle and caused extensive property damage, collapsing several buildings and destroying cars.

City Executive Director Isaac Dsamani appeared before the media on Thursday to detail that the death toll stood at 17 people, according to Ghanaian TV channel 3News.

In addition, Dsamani expressed regret that some of the victims lost their lives after ignoring instructions from the vehicle’s driver, who told them to get out of it.

“The driver got out and told people to run away, but some people were trying to find out what was going on there,” the Ghanaian official said.

For his part, the regional head of the National Ambulance Service, Prosper Baah, estimated that at least 57 people were injured by the blast, according to Ghanaian TV station 3News.

“We sent 57 wounded to Tarkwa Government Hospital, Bogoso Health Center and then to Wassa Akropong… We deployed all our ambulances to the area.

The country’s President, Nana Akufo-Addo, had previously confirmed the existence of dead and injured in a publication on his social networks, without giving any figures.

Akufo-Addo lamented the “sad, unfortunate and tragic” incident while offering his condolences to the victims’ families and wishing those injured a speedy recovery.

“Police, the Armed Forces and the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) are coordinating efforts to contain the situation, and I have also directed NADMO to ensure that assistance is provided to residents of the city quickly,” the president added on Twitter. Profile.

Similar Posts