The Taliban authorities in Afghanistan announced on Monday the “destruction” of a cell belonging to the Islamic State jihadist group in the capital, Kabul, hours after an attack on a mosque in the city left several dead and injured.
Taliban spokesman and Afghan Deputy Minister of Information Zabihulá Mujahid announced that “a special unit of the mujahideen of the Islamic Emirates has carried out an operation against Islamic State insurgents in Kabul Police District 7”.
“The operation, which was very successful and decisive, led to the total destruction of the cell and the death of the Islamic State insurgents,” said Muyahid about his Twitter account, which was temporarily suspended on Sunday, confirming the attack in Kabul.
Mujahid has not indicated whether this operation is related to the attack in Kabul, the responsibility of which is currently not being asserted. The attack is the worst since the US forces withdrew and the Taliban came to power in the Afghan capital in mid-August.
Taliban sources told the Russian agency Sputnik, on condition of anonymity, that twelve people were killed in the attack, while witnesses quoted by the Afghan network Ariana said the explosion claimed at least a dozen lives.
Taliban authorities assured last week that their security forces had launched several operations against cells in Khorasan Province of the Islamic State (ISKP), which the group calls “seditious forces”.
The Islamic State stressed on September 19 that it was behind a series of attacks in Nangarhar province (east) against Taliban troops that had claimed at least 25 deaths, although the new Afghan authorities refused to give concrete numbers.
The Taliban took power in Afghanistan in mid-August after entering Kabul shortly after the then President Ashraf Ghani had fled and international troops had withdrawn from the Asian country. The Islamic State regards the Taliban as traitors to the orthodoxy of “Sharia” or Islamic law and defends a much harsher interpretation.