MADRID, Dec. 17 (EUROPE PRESS) –
The Supreme Court of Justice (TSJ) of Venezuela has ordered Monday to prosecute four opposition deputies of the National Assembly for the “plot of corruption” in the legislative headquarters, thus increasing the long list of parliamentarians immersed in judicial cases in recent months for similar charges.
The attorney general, Tarek William Saab, confirmed on Monday that last week he asked the TSJ to withdraw parliamentary immunity to a group of deputies “involved in the corruption plot” of the National Assembly (AN).
The president of the Supreme Court, Maikel Moreno, responded on Friday indicating that this Monday there would be an extraordinary session to decide on the “formal request for prejudice of merit” against Jorge Alberto Millán, Hernán Claret Alemán, Carlos Alberto Lozano and Luis Stefanelli.
The TSJ has considered that the facts indicated by Saab “compromise the responsibility” of the four deputies “in the blatant commission of the crimes of treason, conspiracy, civil rebellion, concert to commit crimes, usurpation of functions, instigation to insurrection and hate. ”
After that, the Supreme Court has left the decision of snatching parliamentary immunity to the four deputies in the hands of the National Constituent Assembly. The 'Chavista' body has resolved along the same lines as the Prosecutor and the Supreme Court, voting unanimously that they be prosecuted.
Among the deputies affected Jorge Millán stands out, one of the main figures of Primero Justicia, one of the four great parties of the Venezuelan opposition.
The opposition, meanwhile, has denied that the deputies have committed any crime. Stefanelli, on the other hand, has indicated to the Reuters news agency that the decision is another “adhesion” and a “legal invention” of the President's government, Nicolás Maduro, that seeks to control Parliament.
Soon after, the National Assembly has condemned the break-in of parliamentary immunity imposed against the four legislators. “This decision of the dictatorship of Nicolás Maduro … sought to break the morale and unity of the deputies,” the AN said in a statement.
Thus, he said that about 35 deputies, of the 167 who make up the Congress, are “victims of unconstitutional maneuvers” and subjected to arrests.
“The illegal and unconstitutional decision, likewise, has the clear objective of dismantling the National Assembly and preventing the re-election of Juan Guaidó as president of Parliament and Venezuela, on January 5, 2020,” emphasizes the AN.
The news portal Armando.Info uncovered in November an alleged corrupt network in the distribution of food through the government CLAP program in which at least eight opposition deputies would be involved.
The self-proclaimed “president in charge” of Venezuela, Juan Guaidó, has created a special commission to investigate what happened. “It is inadmissible not to do our part: investigate, determine the facts and responsibilities,” he said
“The dictatorship wants to eliminate Parliament through the facts,” said Guaidó, who has denounced that at least 30 opposition deputies are out of the country, in hiding or investigated.
With these four deputies, there are already 19 opposition parliamentarians accused by the TSJ since April 30, when Guaidó kicked off the 'Operation Freedom' with a view to removing Maduro from power with the support of a part of the estate military.
The opposition has also warned that these actions seek to subtract votes for the election of the board of the AN, which is chosen at the beginning of each year. Guaidó aspires to be re-elected as president.