The President of the Moroccan House of Representatives, Habib el Malki, said he was “astonished” and “disappointed” this Sunday about the debate in the European Parliament on Thursday, June 10th, about the massive arrival of migrants in Ceuta.
“I was amazed and disappointed to learn of the registration of a draft resolution in the European Parliament on a so-called ‘use of minors by the Moroccan authorities’ in the migration crisis in Ceuta,” Malki said in a statement.
In the debate, the European Parliament will focus on the situation of minors and whether the Moroccan authorities violated children’s rights during the crisis. In particular, it will focus on Rabat’s involvement of minors and whether this is in violation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child. MEPs will also express their opinion on the situation with a resolution which will be voted on in the plenary of the European Parliament.
For his part, the President of the Moroccan House of Representatives said that it was an initiative which, with the quality of cooperation between the Moroccan Parliament and the European Parliament, tried to divert attention from a purely bilateral political crisis between Morocco and Spain. “
“As everyone knows, this crisis is not linked to migration, but to the fraudulent entry into Spain of a person who is being prosecuted by the Spanish judiciary for serious crimes against Spanish victims,” he said, referring to the entry of General The Secretary of the Front Polisario, Ibrahim Ghali, in Spain and the Spanish executive has justified “on humanitarian grounds”.
“The instrumentalization of the migration issue and particularly of unaccompanied minors in this context clearly resembles a maneuver to Europeanise a bilateral crisis,” he said, emphasizing that “this extraordinary incident” was “exploited”. .
He also stressed that Morocco played an “exemplary” role on the migration issue and recalled that the country was “not acting as an agency of the European Union or as a counterpart” in this area, but as a “partner and within the framework of a shared responsibility” .
In conclusion, he concluded that the Moroccan House of Representatives will be following the issue “very closely” while at the same time “expecting the constructive spirit of partnership to prevail” rather than the “trap” of the Morocco-Spain crisis.
Tensions between Spain and Morocco peaked with the massive arrival of migrants in the autonomous city two weeks ago, which raised alarms in Madrid and Brussels and provoked the reaction of the municipal council, which stressed that the border with Ceuta was a European border.
Since then, the diplomatic scuffle has continued to focus on Spain’s treatment of the leader of the Polisario Front. The government’s president, Pedro Sánchez, spoiled the use of migration to respond to foreign policy issues, to which the Alawite kingdom replied that the crisis had nothing to do with migration, but with the case of Brahim Ghali, who had already arrived from Spain on June 1st to Algeria.