Philippine Interior Minister Eduardo Año confirmed this Sunday that after overcoming the disease caused by the coronavirus, he tested positive again for COVID-19.
“Last night I received the result of my test telling me I was positive for coronavirus again,” said Year, who became the first member of Rodrigo Duterte’s cabinet to develop the disease since the pandemic began.
The minister said he was tested the day after flu-like symptoms, including a sore throat and muscle ache, appeared. In addition, he has confirmed that he is currently isolated under medical supervision.
“I’m also making this announcement to highlight the severity of the virus and to encourage everyone to wear a mask, wash their hands frequently, and practice social distancing,” he said, according to information from the ABS-CBN chain.
The Philippines has found 157,900 cases of COVID-19 since March last year. A total of 2,600 people have died from the virus and 72,000 people have managed to recover.