A follower of Morales in a demonstration in Bolivia. – Gaston Brito / dpa
MADRID, Nov. 21 (EUROPE PRESS) –
The Ombudsman of Bolivia has set the number of deaths this Wednesday at 32 due to the wave of violence unleashed in the country following the elections held on October 20.
In a statement released on its Twitter account, the Ombudsman has confirmed the “existence of 8 people killed after the police-military operation in the sector of the Senkata plant in El Alto.”
“During the current conflict in the country, there are a total of 32 deaths,” says the text, which updates the dead balance so far.
The blockade of the Fiscal Oilfield (YPFB) plant in Senkata had caused fuel shortages in both El Alto and La Paz. 80 percent of public transport was not working, according to local union data, in a city where fruits, vegetables and meat products, such as chicken, are also in short supply.
For its part, the Ombudsman, Nadia Cruz, continues in the Senkata area in an attempt to “promote pacification among the residents of District 8”. “We ask the authorities to suspend the overflight of aircraft in the sector to maintain tranquility in the population,” he said.
The fence to the plant is part of the protests that erupted after the presidential elections. Former President Evo Morales proclaimed his victory but the opposition denounced a “gigantic fraud” and the audit conducted by the Organization of American States (OAS) confirmed “irregularities.”
The resignation of Morales joined those of other senior officials, including calls to replace him according to the line of succession drawn by the Constitution, so Jeanine Áñez, as second vice president of the Senate, took over the country.
Áñez has promised that only the time necessary to hold new presidential elections will remain in power, although he has clarified that Morales will not be able to compete in them, thus asserting the result of the 2017 referendum, which was reversed by the Constitutional Court .