Read for 8 min
The opinions of the employees of s You are personal.
At this point an entrepreneurial friend who owns one PymeWe have all received a Sunami with information about the corona virus and its effects on health and the economy in the coming months and even years.
I have the opportunity to belong to several master mind groups of SME owners in both Mexico and the United States, and what I have seen for everyone since the start of this exceptional situation is that the importance of entrepreneurs is paying close attention to their mentality Status.
It is normal for all of us to generate thoughts and feelings because of the insecurity we experience Fear, fear, insecurity, stress, etc. The vast majority of people, not only in Mexico and Latin America but around the world, have such thoughts and feelings. So we have to be very aware and take steps to reverse this.
First of all, I want to share what happens when we have thoughts and feelings of fear and fear. What happens to our brain is this: Scientists have discovered that the human brain is mainly divided into two parts, the primary and the secondary brain. The primary brain controls all of the organism’s unconscious functions, breathing, pumping the heart, etc. All of these vital functions that we perform without thinking are regulated by the primary brain. This brain, also known as the reptilian brain, was the first to be developed by humans. On the other hand, we have the secondary brain, which is responsible for our rational functions such as thinking, recognizing, deciding, analyzing, etc. The primary brain is the one that was historically responsible for keeping us alive when we were in the cave age. When our ancestors walked through the jungle and were suddenly in imminent danger, they immediately took control of the situation and started shedding chemicals like adrenaline that would allow us to be safe.
The problem we have today is that although we are no longer in danger of being eaten by a lion in the jungle, the primary brain continues to function and when we have negative thoughts or feelings that are generated by our rational part , the primary brain begins to operate in the jungle like aeons ago. The primary brain does not differentiate whether it is a lion or a fear because you cannot pay your company’s payroll. It simply receives the signal and releases chemicals in the body (which can later affect your health) and also tries to shut it down, softening the secondary brain (the rational one).
Image: engin akyurt via Unsplash
For this reason, when we are in a state of fear, stress, etc. The likelihood that we make wrong decisions is very high because our rational brain is not 100%. It is tempered by the secondary brain.
Are these moments the biggest aspect? CRITICAL For you, this means adopting a positive and proactive attitude and taking very careful account of the type of thinking that you generate, as this enables you to make hasty and wrong decisions. Here are some recommendations and options that can help you:
- Do positive mental exercises
- Pray (depending on your religion)
- Choose what kind of information you want to use on social networks and don’t overload yourself with information about the corona virus
- LEARN TO ENJOY THE CHALLENGES
On the other hand, it is very important that you currently spend 80% of your time thinking about and implementing how you can generate sales with new products and services or new sales channels. What most SME owners do in crisis situations is just the opposite. You spend 80% of your time thinking about how to cut costs and expenses, but that’s not what will really help you progress through these moments of so many challenges.
Spend most of your time generating new income
How do you do this here’s how:
1. Set up at least three weekly meetings of 30 minutes to an hour with your team in your company to think about how you can start generating revenue immediately. You must have separate meetings. In one case it is only about ideas for new products or services, in the other it is about ideas for new sales channels to market your product or service. What will the format of these meetings be? Then I share it with you:
- In the first 20 to 30 minutes, people share their ideas. They are not judged, they are only written.
- Then the list of ideas has to be evaluated according to three criteria, whereby for each criterion of each idea a rating of 1 to 3 is given to get a total of points, with 3 being the highest rating:
- That they generate income as soon as possible
- Make it so easy to implement
- That requires the least possible investment
- Depending on the qualification, it is determined which ideas should be implemented, how long they should be implemented and who is responsible for the project.
- Execute the idea.
2. These are a number of key questions that you, as your business owner, can always ask and share with your team. You can ask these questions at a different meeting than at the meetings for new products and / or services and the new marketing / sales channels:
- How is the situation of the Covid-19 currently affecting my sales?
- What could I do differently and even use the situation positively to find new ways to sell and deliver my product / service?
- How can I speak to my customers to find out what products and services I can currently offer to help them?
- What is the basic need that our company places on our customers?
- What has changed with the Covid19 situation for our customers, a list of 5-10 things that have changed, or do you ask your customers directly?
- What has not changed for our customers in the current situation, what other needs do they have that I could fulfill differently than before?
- What other problems do my customers have that are not related to my products or services that I can help them solve?
- How can I stay relevant to my customers during these times and maintain the relationship when the activity is reactivated?
It is very important that you set up these weekly meetings from now on. Sometimes a lot of ideas don’t come up, but don’t despair. The brain works in a very strange way, and sometimes people have good ideas, sometimes not. It is important that you do this exercise every week.
Finally, I recommend that you don’t play “wait and survive” while everything is back to “normal”. It is a very dangerous and risky defensive game as no one knows exactly when things will normalize again and when this will happen, how long it will take for economic activity to re-establish itself. Play the game on the offensive. Think about new products, services, marketing opportunities, etc. That way, the only problem when things go back to “normalcy”, whatever that normality is, is to decide whether you are going with your new business model and the old one or both want to continue.
And remember to pay close attention to your mental attitude.