HONG KONG, Sep 9 (DPA / EP) –
The Hong Kong Government has warned the governments of other countries on Monday not to interfere in their “internal affairs” after more than 150 people have been arrested during the weekend during new protests.
Anti-government protests have continued in the former British colony despite the fact that the chief executive, Carrie Lam, last week formally withdrew the controversial extradition bill that triggered the crisis three months ago. The law would have allowed the extradition of suspects to mainland China.
The clashes between protesters and police intensified on Sunday night, after tens of thousands of residents marched to the US consulted to ask the US Congress to pass a law with punitive measures against the authorities responsible for repressing the “freedoms Basics “in Hong Kong.
The Government of Lam has expressed its “regret” in a statement by the proposed law. “Foreign legislators should not interfere in any way with the internal affairs” of Hong Kong, he said.
A total of 157 people have been arrested over the weekend for the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, police said on Monday, which has detailed that the detainees are charged with charges that include illegal assembly, looting, possession of weapons and attacks on cops.
In addition, he has denounced the “rumors” that are circulating about inappropriate sexual behaviors and attacks on journalists with pepper gas by agents.
He has also taken the opportunity to ask the press and the general population to stay away from protesters and police to avoid possible collateral damage. “We must keep in mind that, given the intensity and extent of violence used by protesters, anyone can be affected,” he said.
These protests are the biggest challenge faced by the Beijing authorities in Hong Kong since the 2014 Umbrella Revolution, the first major mobilization to defend the rights and freedoms regime that the territory inherited from the British occupation and that it maintained after his return to China in 1997.
Meanwhile, pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong has been released on bail this Monday almost 24 hours after his arrest at the city airport when he was heading to Germany for allegedly violating the terms of his bail.
Wong, a key figure in the protests of recent weeks, has been released after a court has ruled that the terms of his bond allow him to make a planned trip beforehand and that his arrest was unfounded.
The 22-year-old activist has confirmed to DPA that he was free and that he was about to travel to Germany. “It was unnecessary to be held for 24 hours,” he lamented. “They could have released me yesterday afternoon,” he added.