MADRID, Jan. 7 (EUROPE PRESS) –
The US Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper, has insisted on Tuesday that Washington does not seek to start a war with Iran after the death of General Qasem Soleimani in a US bombing but has stressed that the country is “prepared to end one” in in the event of a warlike conflict.
In this regard, he has affirmed that the United States has sufficient evidence to justify the attack carried out against Soleimani, where the 'number two' of the Popular Mobilization Forces (FMP), Abu Mahdi al Muhandis, and several Iraqi militiamen and Iranian military
“I can guarantee that it is persuasive. The fact is that Soleimani was caught with his hands in the mass … It is a terrorist leader, a terrorist organization, who met with another terrorist leader to plan and synchronize attacks against diplomats, US facilities and facilities, “he said.
Thus, he stressed that the US government made “the right decision to eliminate players from the battlefield,” as reported by the CNN television network.
On the other hand, Esper has taken the opportunity to clear up doubts about a possible withdrawal of US troops from Iraq after a letter leaked informing of the withdrawal of US troops for security reasons. “It was an unimportant draft,” he said in relation to the letter.
The Secretary of Defense had previously explained that Washington “is repositioning its forces in the region” and that “the letter is not consistent with the position (of the country) at this time.”
The United States has argued at all times that it carried out the attack “to protect US personnel abroad”, following protests against its embassy in Baghdad in protest against another bombing in which 25 members of the FMP died.
Bombings against the FMP were executed in response to the death of an American contractor in a projectile attack against a military base located near Kirkuk.
The Iraqi Government has condemned these attacks by the United States and recalled that the FMPs are a fundamental element in the fight against the Islamic State.