News

The Government dismisses the “coup d’etat” with the return to “normality” in Quito

The Executive remains “alert” because “those who are behind this (…) will continue to persevere”

MADRID, Oct. 10 (EUROPE PRESS) –

The Government of Ecuador considers that the “coup d'etat” attempt attributed to former President Rafael Correa and his allies, including Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro, has been deactivated, given that “normality” has returned to Quito on Thursday, epicenter of protests against economic reform, as indicated by Ecuador's Foreign Minister, José Valencia, in an interview with Europa Press.

The Government dismisses the “coup d’etat” with the return to “normality” in Quito
The Government dismisses the “coup d’etat” with the return to “normality” in Quito

“Yes, I think we have been successful in that,” said the head of Ecuadorian diplomacy, questioned in a telephone conversation about whether the “coup d'etat” had been overcome.

For Valencia, “there was a clear attempt” of coup d'etat by the public calls of some sectors of the Ecuadorian opposition to hold early elections. “Ecuador does not have a parliamentary system, like some European countries. It is a presidential system where the law determines the deadlines for elections to be held. To make such a call is to make a call to subvert the constitutional order,” he said.

To this he has added the “multiple declarations” in social networks of “opposition leaders linked to former President Correa who openly called for the exit of the president, Lenin Moreno, – legitimately elected – of power.” “That only has one qualifier: a coup d'etat, a subversion of the democratic order”, has settled Valencia.

The foreign minister has linked the violence registered in the demonstrations to these political maneuvers. Thus, he commented that “the protesters who confronted law enforcement” in the indigenous march on Wednesday in Quito “were people who responded to other types of slogans, political slogans of the opposition to the Government that do not seek a resolution of the controversies (…), but a political destabilization, create chaos. ”

The vice president, Otto Sonnenholzner, informed in the press conference that he offered Wednesday from Guayaquil that only in that coastal city 27 foreign citizens had been arrested to whom they would have paid between 40 and 50 dollars to demonstrate. According to official data, there would be more than 700 foreigners arrested, including dozens of Venezuelans.

Questioned about these people, the Foreign Minister has refused to give details, because “the Police and the Prosecutor's Office have to complete the investigations,” although he has advanced that they were “mixed with the protesters … acting violently.” On the possible connection with Correa and Maduro, he replied: “Yes, we have many indications that things are pointing out there, that there is a foreign action.”

Valencia has drawn attention to the fact that “the demonstrations were extremely violent” and included “illegal actions” such as the taking of three oil pumping facilities in the Ecuadorian Amazon that have caused the suspension of the main oil pipeline in the country, with a cost of “millions of dollars”.

“This is not to mention that they are extremely sensitive facilities … In the Government we were very worried because, literally, a spark could have unleashed a conflagration and hundreds of lives could have been lost,” he said.

BACK TO NORMAL

On the other hand, it has celebrated the return to normalcy in the Ecuadorian capital. “Fortunately, the situation in Quito right now is calm. Daily life has returned to normal. There are no more demonstrations … there is circulation of vehicles and open shops,” he said. “If all goes well, we hope that the country can return to normal quickly,” he added.

Valencia has attributed it to two things. On the one hand, “the action of the Public Force to contain violent protesters who had mixed with social organizations, especially with indigenous”, and, on the other, “at the beginning of the dialogue between the Government and the trade union and indigenous organizations “.

Moreno offered dialogue to the protesters, although clarifying before that he would maintain his decision to eliminate fuel subsidies. The vice president informed on Wednesday that a first agreement had been reached on the route that the indigenous march through Quito should follow and that it be peaceful, although the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE) denied the dialogue and the agreement.

“There is no contradiction between the two information,” said Valencia. In this regard, he explained that before the indigenous march “there was an understanding” that also “was conducted properly”, because there was no violence by the protesters, and at the same time there were “first meetings” in the dialogue sponsored by the UN and the Episcopal Conference “where the parties raised their requirements”.

The objective of the dialogue, he said, is “to cushion the effect of the rise in transport in the most economically vulnerable sectors.” “In the face of the approaches of indigenous groups and unions, the Government then made a counter proposal” which is based on the development of rural communities. “What we expect is that in subsequent meetings, today, when they are reconvened again, an agreement can be drawn up,” he added.

ON ALERT

The foreign minister stressed that “the Government's aspiration” is “to seek in a peaceful and democratic way understandings that allow the country to move forward.” In his opinion, “citizenship is also on that line,” but not “those who seek only chaos for chaos and have a political agenda that is absolutely different from citizen protests.”

Therefore, “we remain alert,” he said. “Those who are behind this have an absolutely violent agenda and I do not think that because they have suffered a setback and the country has returned to calm they will leave it aside. I believe that they will continue to persevere and, of course, the country, the State and the democratic order are going to be alert to catch up, “he said.

Asked about whether the Ecuadorian authorities will ask Interpol to issue an international order to detain Correa, who lives in Belgium with his family, for the attempted “coup d'etat”, regardless of the legal cases he already has open for corruption and Other crimes have emphasized that the decision corresponds to the judges. “The Executive, as such, does not have much less interference in Justice. This happened before, when former President Correa was in power … It is not the case today,” he concluded.

Similar Posts