The German police have issued an arrest warrant for the 27-year-old woman who is accused of suffocating five of her six children to death in the West German city of Solingen.
A spokesman for the public prosecutor, Heribert Kaune-Gebhardt, said at a press conference that the autopsies found that the five victims were sedated between one and eight years of age. Their bodies were found in their own beds at the family home on Thursday.
The minor’s grandmother was the one who set off the alarm after the mother confessed to WhatsApp that she had committed the crimes and claimed that “she could not go on.” After the crimes, the mother would have moved to the nearby city of Düsseldorf, at whose train station she was thrown onto the railroad tracks.
The suspect remains in hospital with serious injuries while the only surviving son, aged eleven, remains temporarily in the grandmother’s care. The mother had traveled to Düsseldorf with her eldest son, who was in class at the time of the crimes.
The police have reported that the children are children of three different parents, but that they are in no way listed as suspects in the open investigation. Authorities have said the mother had been separated from her last husband, the father of their last four children, for a year, but the fighting in the house has been constant.