Dialogue table of the Government and indigenous people in Ecuador. – UN ECUADOR
MADRID, Oct. 14 (EUROPE PRESS) –
The peace dialogue between the indigenous people and the Ecuadorian Government has begun this Sunday with a delay of two and a half hours and after eleven days of protests against the economic measures promoted by the president, Lenín Moreno, as confirmed by the United Nations representation in The Latin American country
“All delegations are present. The dialogue is about to begin at this time,” the UN said in its Twitter account shortly before the talks between the parties began at 17.30 (local time).
Moreno has taken the floor and asked that the conditions reached through the dialogue be transformed into a new decree to “benefit those who need it most,” according to the Ecuavisa television network.
For his part, the president of the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE), Jaime Vargas, has said he is “outraged by everything that has happened” in the country during the last days. The place of the meeting has not been disclosed for security reasons.
It was planned that this first meeting will begin at 3 pm, but the Episcopal Conference said in a joint statement with the UN that the meeting had been postponed due to “operational difficulties”.
“The Ecuadorian Episcopal Conference and the United Nations System in Ecuador inform society that, due to operational difficulties due to the country's situation, the installation of the dialogue table scheduled for today at 3 pm will be delayed”, He pointed to the text.
However, the document highlighted the willingness of the parties to “meet to discuss a solution” and argued that the meeting would be “broadcast live.”
The protests began more than a week ago after the announcement of a “package” of economic measures agreed by the Government with the International Monetary Fund (IMF). So far seven people have died as a result of the riots.