Skip to content

Russia says reports about the possible presence of US fighters carried to the demolition “by mistake” of the plane in Iran

January 17, 2020

MADRID, Jan. 17 (EUROPE PRESS) –

Russian acting Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Friday that the existence of reports about the possible presence of US fighters near the borders of Iran was a factor in the demolition “by mistake” last week of a plane after taking off from Tehran airport.

“It was a human error, I think everyone already understood that it happened unintentionally,” he said, before highlighting the “nervousness” that existed in the country in the moments before the event, as reported by the Russian news agency Sputnik .

Russia says reports about the possible presence of US fighters carried to the demolition “by mistake” of the plane in IranRussia says reports about the possible presence of US fighters carried to the demolition “by mistake” of the plane in Iran

Thus, he said that “the Iranians expected a new attack from the United States without knowing what type” and said that, according to some reports, there would be “at least six F-35s in the air right on the border with Iran.”

However, Lavrov has indicated that this information must still be verified, while noting that the event “requires” that Iran pay compensation. “I think Iran will consider these requests. They admitted it happened by mistake,” he added.

The Government of Iran has assured during the day that it has identified the bodies of practically all 176 fatalities of the plane's demolition and has requested that “this tragic incident should not be used as a tool in service of profits and political gestures” .

The Boeing 737 of Ukraine International Airlines crashed on January 8, an event that resulted in the death of its 176 occupants, but until three days later Iran did not recognize that the aircraft had been shot down by accident.

Iran's President Hasan Rohani on Tuesday proposed the creation of a “special court” to examine the event, assuming that “it is not a normal case” and that “everyone is watching” to see how the Islamic Republic resolves the research.

“Immediately after I was aware that a very painful and unforgivable mistake had been made, I ordered the officials to inform the public,” he said, before stressing that “it is an enormously bitter incident, extremely difficult for people to accept” .

Thus, he indicated that “even if the device had crashed due to technical problems, it would have been a painful incident.” “After it was confirmed that a human error led to this tragedy, it hurt the public sentiment further,” he said.

Rohani also stressed that “not only is the person who pressed the button guilty, there are others involved,” as reported by the Iranian television network Press TV. “I want this matter to be explained honestly to people,” he settled.

During these last days, the Iranian authorities have suggested that the incident stems from the growing tension in the area due to the political and military pulse with the United States. Washington and Tehran crossed attacks in the week before the demolition, which has also led to a reduction in air connections with the Iranian capital.

Receive Breaking News !

Install
×
Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks