Pyongyang threatens Seoul with a “major security crisis” over maneuvers with Washington

Pyongyang threatened Seoul on Wednesday with a “major security crisis” because of the military maneuvers planned for next week with Washington, although training has already started.

This was expressed in a statement from the head of the North Korean United Front Division in charge of the administration of relations with South Korea, Kim Yong Chol, who criticized the South Korean authorities for rejecting “the opportunity for change” and “stability” . on the peninsula “with the” folly of carrying out another war exercise.

Pyongyang threatens Seoul with a “major security crisis” over maneuvers with Washington
Pyongyang threatens Seoul with a “major security crisis” over maneuvers with Washington

“This time the South Korean authorities have shown without apology that the peace and trust they normally demand are nothing more than a play on words,” said Chol, who added that Seoul considers “Pyongyang” as an enemy by participating in the maneuvers “, reports the state news agency KCNA.

It regrets that South Korea “ignores” the “Council” of the North and has chosen “the path of alliance with foreign powers instead of harmony with its own people” and “the escalation of tensions instead of the relationship”. and “Confrontation instead of improving relationships.”

Chol has stressed that Pyongyang must make “a clearer decision” ahead of Seoul’s position, for which he has warned that he will make South Korea “feel” how dangerous the decisions they have made “and” how close they are to a major are security crisis. “

“We need to make sure they know the price of responding with actions that are hostile to our goodwill and that have missed the opportunity to improve inter-Korean relations,” he added to help decide that South Korea and the United States should decide to “confront” Pyongyang, no choice “.

The statement by the head of the United Front Division continues with warnings from Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who said that “the dangerous military maneuvers carried out by the US and South Korean sides (… ), they will certainly face a more serious security threat. “

“Regardless of the size or shape of the exercise, it is a war demonstration and a preliminary nuclear war exercise in preparation for a pre-emptive strike against North Korea,” he said.

In this regard, State Department spokesman Ned Price said Tuesday that the military exercises with South Korea are “purely defensive in nature.”

“We have emphasized this point repeatedly, and it is very important,” he added, in defense of Washington “not having any hostile intentions towards North Korea”. “As we have said in the last few weeks, we support the inter-Korean dialogue. We support the inter-Korean commitment and will continue to work with our partners in Seoul to this end, ”he said.

Kim Yo Jong warned earlier this month that the maneuvers would seriously undermine attempts to restore relations between the two Koreas, fueled by the recent reopening of communication channels. According to the South Korean agency Yonhap, Pyongyang has not received any South Korean calls in the past two days.

Similar Posts