One of the three managers arrested a week ago over the cable car tragedy in the northern Italian municipality of Stresa was released from prison that weekend, claiming he was unaware that the emergency braking system had been tampered with, defending that he was never up to date.
Enrico Perocchio gave an interview to the Italian newspaper “La Stampa” in which he affirmed that “he did not know anything about the forks” of the braking system and that if he had known, he would not have supported the decision “After 21 years there is work things that absolutely shouldn’t be done in the world with cable cars. “
“I will remember this Sunday all my life,” said Perocchio, who was released along with another of the inmates, the owner of the company that manages the cable car system (Ferrovie del Mottarone), Luigi Nerini. The head of the service, Gabriele Tadini, was placed under house arrest.
Perocchio has said that he was home when it all happened and “immediately” moved to the place because he thought help was needed to manage what happened. “When it was explained to me, I felt like I was dying. If I had known they were using brake shoes, called forks, I would have stopped the system immediately. Finding out now is a huge stone in my stomach,” he says .
Regarding the relationship he had with Nerini, who is considered to be one of the most responsible for the accident that killed fourteen dead and one injured, Perocchio has pointed out that he never received pressure of any kind and even thought that there are more people in charge of the bodies in front of that person.
“I’m not in his head, I can’t know. If I had known, I would have blocked it sooner. If my eyes had stayed on the forks, I would have removed them immediately,” insisted Perocchio, for whom the Das The problem would have been solved if the operation of the cable car had been suspended “for a day or two”.
After learning about this episode, the Italian authorities focus on knowing why the cable broke, thus shedding a little more light and clearing up the specific responsibilities for what happened.
Verbania Prosecutor Olimpia Bossi has not negatively assessed the release and house arrest of the three main suspects, stressing that the judge maintains the facts that the braking system has been changed voluntarily and the prosecutor’s search is “continuing”. .