MADRID, Dec. 14 (EUROPE PRESS) –
North Korea has said on Saturday that it has conducted another “important” test at the Sohae Rocket Launch Station – Donghang-ri province – in the northwest of the country, to strengthen its “nuclear deterrence strategy” .
“Another important test has been carried out from 22.41 to 22.48 (local time) on December 13, 2019 at the Sohae Rocket Launch Station,” according to a statement released by the North Korean state news agency KCNA.
In addition, the Academy of National Defense Sciences of North Korea (ACDN) has specified that it has had “the great honor” of receiving in the same field “the cordial congratulations of the Central Committee of the Korean Labor Party.”
“The successive successes of scientific research recorded in the field of Defense will recently be applied to reinforce North Korea's nuclear deterrence strategy,” the statement added.
The test has taken place in Sohae, whose dismantling was agreed on June 12, 2018 by the leader of North Korea, Kim Jong Un, and the president of the United States, Donald Trump. In fact, images later captured by the US think tank 38 North showed that the North Korean authorities would have begun to dismantle part of these facilities.
The rehearsal takes place after another one also held in Sohae on Saturday which, according to the ACDN, its result would change “the strategic position of the country.”
At that time, missile experts consulted by the Reuters news agency pointed out that it would be a “static” test of a rocket engine – solid or liquid fuel. Had it been a missile launch, its neighbors South Korea or Japan would have detected it quickly.
This propeller could be used in the first phase of the launch of an intercontinental missile, according to some observers consulted by the official South Korean news agency Yonhap. Other experts felt that it could be a liquid propellant for launching satellites.
On the other hand, last week the North Korean ambassador to the UN, Kim Song, reported that his country will no longer discuss with the United States the possibility of suspending its nuclear program and that any additional conversation in that regard was unnecessary.
In response, Trump replied with an enigmatic “we will see” by being questioned before this position of Pyongyang.
“I would be surprised if North Korea did something hostile,” he said before leaving the White House for Florida. “He knows I have an election ahead. I don't think he wants to interfere, but we'll see. I think he wants something to happen. The relationship is very good, but there is a certain hostility,” he added.
In April, Kim Jong Un said his country would give Washington a deadline of up to the end of the year to be more flexible in the denuclearization talks and, since then, North Korean state media has issued warnings about the consequences of breaking that deadline. None, however, of the caliber of this announcement.
“We don't need to hold new talks with the United States. Denuclearization,” the North Korean ambassador added, “is already off the negotiating table.”
Although the US president said he intends to persevere, his latest comments, in which Kim is concerned about his taste for long-range rocket tests, hinted at a new distancing.
In response, the North Korean regime urged him to refrain from warnings and “metaphors,” as they represent “a very dangerous challenge” in Pyongyang's eyes.
Even the last postponements of military maneuvers between South Korea and the United States, which the North interpreted as a threat to their security, have not been able to relieve tension.
In fact, last day 3, the Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Korea, Ri Thae Song, said that any US announcement about the restart of the talks was no more than “a silly trick” by the Trump Administration , in order to use it in the next elections.
The vice minister ended up deciding that his country “has done everything possible not to reverse the important steps it has taken on its own initiative,” as KCNA said.