Experts believe that it is the test of an engine for intercontinental missiles or satellite launch
MADRID, 8 (EUROPE PRESS)
North Korea has assured that this Saturday it has carried out a test “of enormous importance” at the Sohae Rocket Launch Station – Donchang-ri province – in the northwest of the country, possibly the rocket engine , whose result will change “the strategic position” of the country.
“The afternoon of December 7, 2019 took place at the Sohae Rocket Launch Station, a test of enormous importance,” according to a statement released by the North Korean state news agency KCNA.
“Its result will have an important effect in changing North Korea's strategic position once again in the near future,” the statement said, also specifying that the country's National Defense Science Academy (ACDN) has informed the Central Committee of the Korean Labor Party of the “successful result of that essay”.
Missile experts consulted by the Reuters news agency point out that it would be a “static” test of a rocket engine – solid or liquid fuel -. Had it been a missile launch, its neighbors South Korea or Japan would have detected it quickly.
This propeller could be used in the first phase of the launch of an intercontinental missile, according to some observers consulted by the official South Korean news agency Yonhap. Other experts believe that it could be a liquid propellant for launching satellites.
In any case, the nuclear expert of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Vipin Narang considers this test as a bad omen. “If it is what we think it is, an engine test, we are facing a very clear signal that the diplomatic options are being terminated, if they have not already been completed,” he said. “It seems to me an indication of what awaits this world after New Year,” he lamented.
The test has taken place in Sohae, whose dismantling was agreed on June 12, 2018 by the leader of North Korea, Kim Jong Un, and the president of the United States, Donald Trump. In fact, images later captured by the US think tank 38 North showed that the North Korean authorities would have begun to dismantle part of these facilities.
This essay takes place only hours after the North Korean ambassador to the UN, Kim Song, reported that his country will no longer discuss with the United States the possibility of suspending its nuclear program and that any further conversation in this regard is unnecessary.
“The constant and substantial dialogue pursued by the United States was no more than a trick to gain time with a view to its domestic political calendar,” he said in a statement collected by Reuters.
In response, US President Donald Trump replied with an enigmatic “we will see” by being questioned before this position of Pyongyang.
“I would be surprised if North Korea did something hostile,” he said before leaving the White House for Florida. “He knows I have an election ahead. I don't think he wants to interfere, but we'll see. I think he wants something to happen. The relationship is very good, but there is a certain hostility,” he added.
In April, Kim Jong Un said his country would give Washington a deadline of up to the end of the year to be more flexible in the denuclearization talks and, since then, North Korean state media has issued warnings about the consequences of breaking that deadline. None, however, of the caliber of this announcement.
“We don't need to hold new talks with the United States. Denuclearization,” the North Korean ambassador added, “is already off the negotiating table.”
Although the US president has said he intends to persevere, his latest comments, in which Kim was concerned about his taste for long-range rocket tests, hinted at a new distancing.
In response, the North Korean regime urged him to refrain from warnings and “metaphors,” as they represent “a very dangerous challenge” in Pyongyang's eyes.
Not even the latest postponements of military maneuvers between South Korea and the US, which the North interpreted as a threat to their security, have been able to relieve tension.
In fact, last day 3, the Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Korea, Ri Thae Song, said that any US announcement about the restart of the talks was nothing more than “a silly trick” by the Trump Administration , in order to use it in the next elections.
The deputy minister ended up deciding that his country “has done everything possible not to reverse the important steps it has taken on its own initiative”, as stated by the North Korean state news agency KCNA.