WASHINGTON, Aug. 23 (EUROPE PRESS) –
The president of the United States, Donald Trump, announced Friday an imminent increase in tariffs for imports from China, hours after the Chinese government announced a similar measure and in full escalation of political and commercial tensions between the two powers.
“China should not have put new tariffs at $ 75 billion of US products,” Trump said on Twitter, referring to a measure he has attributed to political reasons. Specifically, Beijing will impose additional tariffs of between 5 and 10 percent on 5,078 products as of September 1.
Trump has confirmed that on the same day, Chinese goods and products that until now were tied to a 10 percent lien – valued at “$ 300 billion” – will rise to 15 percent. One month later, on October 1, the goods subject so far to a 25 percent tariff – and adding up to “250,000 million dollars” – will apply 30 percent.
“For many years, China – and many other countries – have taken advantage of the United States in trade, intellectual property theft, and much more. Our country has lost hundreds of billions of dollars every year in favor of China.” Trump said, who did not see “an end in sight” for this supposed imbalance.
For this reason, it has framed the new measures within an interest in achieving “a balanced trade” and avoiding “a great burden on the US taxpayer.” “As president, I cannot let this happen,” he added in his messages.