Skip to content

Trump has considered imposing a naval embargo on Venezuela

August 19, 2019

Axios reveals contacts through Hair intermediaries with the US Administration

MADRID, Aug 19 (EUROPE PRESS) –

The American president, Donald Trump, has been considering the possibility of imposing a naval embargo on Venezuela in order to prevent the entry and exit of the country from ships, although for now the idea has been ruled out, according to the Axios news portal , which quotes five current and former officials of the Administration.

According to this media, Trump has been proposing the option of naval blockade intermittently in the last year and a half, the last time just a few weeks ago, although according to the sources consulted the Pentagon has not taken this option very seriously since that he considers it impractical and believes that it would divert resources from those destined to counteract China and Iran.

“He literally said that we should take the ships there and impose a naval embargo,” said one of the sources who heard the president's comments, in order to “prevent him from entering anything.” In the opinion of another source, Trump seems to be thinking about the Cuban missile crisis during the Cold War.

“But Cuba is an island and Venezuela has a huge coastline, and in Cuba we knew what we were trying to prevent from entering,” said the source, stressing that it would take “huge resources, probably more than the Navy can contribute “.

On the other hand, the sources consulted by Axios have indicated that in recent months there have been contacts through emissaries between Diosdado Cabello, president of the official National Constituent Assembly and one of the strong men of Chavismo, with a head of the National Council of American security that is identified as Mauricio Claver-Carone.

The Trump Administration regards Cabello as a key actor and believes that if he had supported the failed coup d'etat of April 30, when the self-proclaimed president Juan Guaidó announced that the armed forces supported him but that was not the case, the assault would have prospered, According to the sources.

Although some officials in the State Department are concerned about contacts with Cabello, due to their alleged links with drug trafficking, other senior officials of the Administration believe that the fact that they are sending messages is a positive signal and suggests that the nearby circle Nicolás Maduro is breaking up.

In fact, according to a senior administration, members of several power centers within Venezuela, not just Cabello, have been contacting US officials through emissaries.