Skip to content

The Taliban say they remain willing to sign the peace agreement already “closed” with the US.

September 17, 2019

KABUL, Sep. 17 (DPA / EP) –

The Taliban have said Tuesday that they are still willing to sign the peace agreement already “closed” with the US authorities, a message they have released after the US government decided to suspend the dialogue over the latest attacks by the insurgent group founded by the mullah Mohamed Omar.

The Deputy Director of the Taliban Political Office in Doha, Sher Mohamad Abbas Stanekzai, said in an interview with the Afghan affiliate of the BBC that the Taliban will only announce a ceasefire in Afghanistan when the peace agreement with States is signed United.

The Taliban and the United States were about to ratify a peace agreement principle when the president of the United States, Donald Trump, decided to end the talks in retaliation for an attack that ended the life of an American military and thirteen other people on August 5th.

The spokesman for the Taliban office in Doha, the capital of Qatar, has said that a delegation of four members of the insurgent group traveled to Iran on Monday and met with authorities of the Islamic Republic, including Iranian Foreign Minister Mohamed Yavad Zarif. At these meetings, the two sides spoke about the peace process and the protection of Iranian development projects on Afghan soil.

Last week, a three-member Taliban delegation led by Stanekzai traveled to Moscow to speak with the Russian authorities about the peace process. Shaheen has told on his Twitter account that the Russian Government supports peace talks and advocates the withdrawal of US troops as contemplated in the agreement.

Despite the peace talks, the Taliban have continued to carry out attacks and attacks in different parts of the country against government objectives and Afghan and international security forces.