Skip to content

New York Port Authority attack: Man held after Manhattan blast

December 10, 2017

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe explosion occurred as the Monday rush hour was getting under way

A man is being held after an attempted terror attack at New York City’s main bus terminal, officials say.

“Terrorists won’t win,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said after a blast at the Port Authority terminal in Manhattan during the morning rush hour on Monday.

The suspect, named as Akayed Ullah, 27, was wounded when a “low-tech explosive device” strapped to his body blew up in an underpass, officials say.

They say three other people suffered minor injuries.

A photo circulating on social media shows a man, said to be the suspect, lying on the ground with his clothes ripped and lacerations on his upper body.

Mayor De Blasio said he was believed to have acted alone.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionNYC police commissioner: ‘Suspect has burns and wounds to body’

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said: “This is New York. The reality is that we are a target by many who would like to make a statement against democracy, against freedom.

“We have the Statue of Liberty in our harbour and that makes us an international target.”

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said President Donald Trump had been briefed on the incident.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal is the biggest and busiest bus terminal in the world, serving more than 65 million people a year.

Image copyrightReuters
Image caption Several blocks of the city have been cordoned off
Skip Twitter post by @hkdallas

I was exiting the Port Authority and the National Guard was running towards something shouting “Go, Go, Go”

— Keith Woodfin (@hkdallas) December 11, 2017

End of Twitter post by @hkdallas


Are you in the area? If it’s safe for you to do so tell us how you have been affected by this by emailing [email protected].

You can also contact us in the following ways: