ROME, Aug. 28 (EUROPE PRESS) –
The president of Italy, Sergio Mattarella, has called the acting prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, to a meeting this Thursday at 9.30 am, after the 5 Star Movement (M5S) and the Democratic Party (PD) have announced an agreement to continue to lead the Government.
Conte announced his resignation last week, during a debate in the Senate that analyzed a motion of censure presented by the Matteo Salvini League. The rupture of the coalition between the M5S and the League opened a process of negotiations to avoid the call for early elections.
Mattarella has held two rounds of consultations with the political parties and, after listening to the main leaders on Wednesday for the second time, has summoned Conte for early Thursday. The Presidency has not clarified the reasons in its note, although everything indicates that it will once again entrust the formation of a government between the M5S and the PD.
The PD initially opposed the continuity of Conte, but its leader, Nicola Zingaretti, has confirmed after meeting with Mattarella that there is an agreement to continue as prime minister. “We love Italy and we believe it is worth trying this experience,” Zingaretti explained in announcing the definitive approach to the M5S.
For his part, the leader of the M5S, Luigi Di Maio, has seconded the announcement of the leader of the PD in relation to Conte, who has said that he is “a man of great courage, who has shown that he wants to serve the country with a selfless spirit and abnegation”. “The recognition of (Donald) Trump makes us understand that we are on the right track,” he said, a day after the president of the United States publicly endorsed the continuity of Conte.
With the PD, Di Maio aspires to form “a long-term government” in which the M5S is willing to assume its “responsibility” and govern for the good of the country. In this sense, he has said that the League even offered him to be the substitute for Conte at the head of the Government, but that he rejected it because he was not interested in hoarding power.
Precisely the position that Di Maio could occupy in a hypothetical coalition executive has been another of the most debated issues of these last hours, since the PD has questioned that he can continue as deputy prime minister, for understanding that the transfer to the continuity of Conte It leaves the M5S without the right to also occupy the 'number two'.
M5S sources consulted by Adnkronos have assured that the decision, in any case, will fall on Conte, who is responsible for deciding who is part of his cabinet and in what position. Among the options that are on the table is to eliminate the position of deputy prime minister or appoint several people at the same level.