Skip to content

Arreaza rejects the call of the “very worried Spanish Government” to a dialogue that includes Guaid & oacute;

September 19, 2019

MADRID, Sep. 19 (EUROPE PRESS) –

Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza has rejected on Thursday the statement issued on Wednesday by “the very worried Spanish Government,” which calls on the Nicolás Maduro Executive for a dialogue that includes the self-proclaimed “president in charge,” Juan Guaidó, to achieve a negotiated exit to the crisis in the country.

“By reading this statement, we assume that the very worried Spanish Government must be making efforts, pressing Washington to make Donald Trump lift the illegal sanctions and the criminal blockade imposed to make the Venezuelan people suffer,” Arreaza wrote on Twitter in a tone ironic.

In this statement, the Acting Executive of Pedro Sánchez expresses “his concern about the stoppage of the negotiations that had been taking place in recent months between Venezuelan actors with Norwegian mediation,” which began in May and culminated in August by decision of the team of Nicolás Maduro.

As Guaidó himself said this week, he offered Maduro a transitional government in which neither of them were present to lead the country to a “real” presidential election, revive the Venezuelan economy and get humanitarian aid to enter country.

Maduro rejected this offer and responded this week by signing an agreement with four minority parties of the Venezuelan opposition, the so-called National Mesa, to initiate a new dialogue with a view to future political forces that wish to join.

“The Government of Spain reiterates its conviction that the solution to the profound multidimensional crisis that the country is going through can only be achieved through a peaceful and negotiated exit between Venezuelans leading to the holding of early presidential elections with due democratic guarantees,” says the Note from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, EU and Cooperation.

However, it indicates that “these negotiations between Venezuelans must have the participation of the main actors in the country, obviously including the representation of the president in charge, Juan Guaidó, and the political forces with the highest number of seats in the National Assembly,” emphasizing that “this is not the case of the National Board presented on September 16”.

In addition, he urges “the Venezuelan actors involved and the international community as a whole to strengthen and accelerate the response to the serious humanitarian crisis the country is going through.” “Attention to the humanitarian crisis must be urgent, without waiting for the desired progress to be registered at the level of the political solution,” he says.