The Moroccan government this Thursday agreed to extend the state of health until September 10 due to the coronavirus pandemic that has already left more than 28,000 cases and more than 400 deaths in the country.
The measure, first enacted on March 20, has since been extended several times. Morocco is one of the countries on the continent hardest hit by COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.
The Moroccan Ministry of Health said in its latest tally on Wednesday that 1,283 new cases and 18 deaths had been recorded in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 28,500 and 435 respectively.
Likewise, the coordinator of the National Center for Emergency Healthcare, Muad Mrabet, pointed out that 19,994 people were rescued, according to the Moroccan state news agency MAP.
Mrabet said that 94 percent of new infections were registered in the regions of Casablanca-Setat, Tanger-Tetouan-Al Hoceima, Fez-Meknes, Marrakech-Safi and Rabat-Salé-Kenitra, two-thirds of the total in the cities of Casablanca, Fez , Tangier and Marrakech.