More than 50 people die in clashes on the border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan

The recent clashes on the border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan have resulted in more than 50 deaths, according to the recent balance between the authorities of both countries.

The Tajik authorities expected 19 dead and 89 wounded this Thursday, while 40 dead and around 200 wounded were reported from Kyrgyzstan in the past few days.

In this context, the regional government of Sughd, a Tajik province bordering Kyrgyzstan, has announced that three million somonis (around € 250,000) will be provided to aid the families of the victims, for which it is estimated that each family will receive around € 10,000.

More than 50 people die in clashes on the border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan
More than 50 people die in clashes on the border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan

Meanwhile, the Kyrgyz President Sadir Japarov visited the village of Maksat in the Leilek district in the Batken region, which has suffered from the armed conflict in the section of the state border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, reports the local medium

Japarov met with local residents at a school that had been destroyed in the fighting and assured them that construction and restoration work would begin in the village of Maksat.

He has also indicated that work is starting to restore the destroyed social and commercial facilities and has indicated that a mobile clinic will provide medical aid in the area.

The President also added that the Batken region will be granted special status in the near future, while the families of the victims will receive compensation of one million Kyrgyz people (more than 9,000 euros) and affected entrepreneurs will also receive support.

About half of the 970-kilometer Kyrgyz-Tajik border has not yet been marked after the collapse of the Soviet Union, leading to disputes over the use of land and water resources.

The most recent escalation of violence in the region was sparked on April 28 after an altercation between a group of Tajiks and another from Kyrgyzstan when they tried to mount multiple surveillance cameras on a power pole near the border. What began as a brawl then triggered a stone throw that led to an exchange of fire between the parties the next day.

However, the two countries eventually agreed on a second ceasefire on April 30 to end hostilities.

The heads of government of both countries have agreed on the demarcation and delimitation of the border in order to resolve the disputes.

After a round of talks, the parties signed a joint declaration in the city of Batken. In the document they stressed the importance of “early description of a border on the border” between the two countries.

To this end, the authorities have agreed to use documents and materials dating back to the 1924, 1927 and 1989 demarcation. The next meeting between the parties will take place in Tajikistan.

Similar Posts