News

More than 100,000 people have died in the Yemen War since 2015, 12,000 of them civilians

A woman widowed by the war in Yemen and her four children – KARL SHEMBRI / NRC – Archive

MADRID, Nov. 3 (EUROPE PRESS) –

More than 12,000 civilians have died during the Yemen War since 2015, the armed conflict conflict project and location project investigation group (ACLED) has denounced on Saturday, which has encrypted the total death toll in the conflict. since that year in 100,000 people, count fighters.

More than 100,000 people have died in the Yemen War since 2015, 12,000 of them civilians
More than 100,000 people have died in the Yemen War since 2015, 12,000 of them civilians

So far this year, ACLED has recorded the death of approximately 1,100 civilians. In addition, the coalition leading Saudi Arabia remains responsible for the highest number of civilian deaths reported by direct attacks, with more than 8,000 since 2015.

Specifically, about 67 percent of all civilian deaths recorded during this period have resulted from coalition airstrikes, according to ACLED.

Although the number of air strikes by the coalition is at an all time low, civilian deaths from air strikes have increased for the first time since the end of 2017, that is, more than double in the third quarter of 2019 compared to the quarter previous.

The reason for the increase must be sought in a strike in a prison in the city of Dhamar, which killed at least 130 detainees, the investigation group explained.

For their part, the Houthis and their allies are responsible for more than 2,000 civilian deaths reported by direct attacks since 2015.

TOTAL DEATH BALANCE IN 2019

Approximately 20,000 people have died so far during the conflict in Yemen so far in 2019, which makes it the second deadliest year of the confrontation, after 2018.

Specifically, there have been more than 40,000 incidents since the beginning of 2015. Of these, almost 8,000 have occurred in 2019, but the NGO says that “deadly violence in 2019 tends to decline overall.” April has been the deadliest month of 2019, with 2,500 deaths recorded, while in September 1,700 have been recorded.

However, the monthly number of incidents during the conflict has decreased since March. This trend is mainly due to a fall in explosions and events such as bombings or airstrikes, while the number of battles has not diminished, ACLED said.

The number of air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition declined over the past year, while Houthi attacks against Saudi Arabia increased until the group declared a unilateral ceasefire within Saudi territory in September.

Saudi Arabia only partially accepted the ceasefire proposal and has continued to carry out attacks in Yemen. In the regions under Houthi control, ACLED has also registered an increase in internal struggles between opposing Houthi factions.

GEOGRAPHICAL FOCUS OF THE CONFLICT

As for the geographical focus of the Yemeni conflict, the Taiz government is, according to ACLED, the most lethal in Yemen. The organization argues that it is due, in large part, to the four-year siege carried out by Houthi forces, although it has specified that violence has declined in 2019.

Thus, more than 19,000 deaths have been registered in Taiz since 2015 and more than 2,300 of these deaths come from direct civil attacks.

The Yauf governorate and the city of Al Hudaydah follow Taiz as the deadliest, with more than 10,000 deaths from the total reported in each region since 2015. Other fronts, such as Dhala, in which civilian deaths have tripled Regarding 2018, Yauf and Hajjah's have registered strong clashes in 2019.

Taiz, Dhale, Al Hudaydah and Hajjah are also the Yemeni governorates targeted by anti-civil violence in 2019 and account for more than half of all deaths reported by direct civil attacks so far in 2019.

Similar Posts