“This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding,” the spokesman said in the statement. “She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”
The Associated Press reported that the palace had previously said it would not comment on the report.
Efforts to reach Mr. Markle on Monday evening were not immediately successful.
On Saturday, The Daily Mail reported that Mr. Markle had been working with a British paparazzi photographer to pose for a series of pictures that were then sold to newspapers around the world.
In its own report on Monday, TMZ said that it had spoken with Mr. Markle and that he said he had decided against attending the wedding because of fallout related to the photo deal. TMZ said he had decided not to go because he did not want to “embarrass the Royal Family or his daughter.”
Earlier this month, The Associated Press, citing a palace spokesman, reported that both of Ms. Markle’s divorced parents would meet with Queen Elizabeth II and have “special roles” in their daughter’s wedding. Ms. Markle’s parents, who split when she was young, had been scheduled to arrive in London this week.