Read for 9 min
The opinions of the employees of s You are personal.
The world is changing day by day and that of business. Think about it: if you needed a product or service a few years ago, you had to go to one physical memory get it. Today, from your cell phone, you can buy anything you can imagine, be it the pantry of the week, cell phones, cars, and even computer services provided by citizens of other countries like India. Everything on the Internet.
The best of electronic commerce is that the price of the products is almost always the same and even cheaper than that in a physical store. For this reason, all companies that want to survive in the future must be online, from those with one employee to those that are transnational.
Many experts believe that companies that do not undergo this digital transformation today will suffer the same fate as blockbusters or Kodak, brands that have died because they have not innovated their strategies. That’s why I’m giving you a complete guide to entering this wonderful world that can boost your sales in just a few months.
What is e-commerce or e-commerce?
E-commerce in Mexico has seen buyer growth of 500% in recent weeks / Image: Roberto Cortese on Unsplash
E-commerce sells products and / or services over the Internet. It’s that simple. With this model, you can even sell without having a physical store.
Thanks to the “new normality” – this is the name of the new way of life after the corona virus – we can see that e-commerce has such a huge impact that only Mexico has seen 500% growth in US buyers in recent weeks .
Against this background, the question arises how I can start selling.
There are different possibilities Sell your products online. For example, you can open your own online shop or use the pure players, which are also known as marketplaces. Regardless of which of the two options you choose, you need to empower them by using social networks.
Online shop Vs Marketplaces
An online store is a website that is yours, and you can give it a picture the way you want by changing colors, images, videos, adding products, payment methods, logistics, promotions, in short anything you can imagine.
To do yours Online shop You can program it from scratch or create it with the help of a provider who is dedicated to creating online shops without programming knowledge.
There are many such providers:
If you want to create a good free online site, we recommend ODOO, which allows you to build your online store and use other applications to promote it. Depending on how you grow, you can add applications that would already cost you money. Another option is Wix, which is simpler and more user-friendly.
If you have the opportunity to invest, you can first check out Shopify, which you can use to develop your online store by paying a monthly rent. One of the advantages of Shopify is that it accepts all payment methods your customers need. Even in these times, it offers you a three-month free trial for developing your website. You can use them and explore all of their benefits. If you are not convinced, you can cancel it for free.
On the other hand, we also have Maketplaces They are providers that could be said to rent out part of their website to you. It’s like going to the market and renting a place where you can sell your products and services. The Marketplaces They are a great tool to start your e-commerce because they are well-known places with already established brands in the world. This is the second page where customers search for a product (the first is Google).
These sites can be an excellent option if you are starting out in this world. However, you should also be aware that some marketplaces charge you monthly commissions or rents for using their platform.
These are the two strongest in Latin America so far.
This platform today has more than 44 million buyers / Image: Mercado Libre via Instagram
It is a company founded in Argentina in 1999 by Marcos Galperín. This platform today has more than 44 million buyers, more than 6,000 searches per second and 12 purchases per second. By that I mean it’s a great tool to launch your products online and grow your business faster.
- You can open your account as a natural person or as a standard personl and then switch to one of the two legal figures.
- You need the basics to publish products This is the title of your product as “Toy Racing Cart”, pictures of your product, features, price, among others. All you have to do is collect information about your product and show it to your customers.
- This platform does not charge a monthly rentHowever, commissions between 8% and 20% are required. These can vary when you publish your product with facilities for your customer, e.g. B. months without interest, free shipping, various payment methods, protection for your purchases and returns.
- They have a modality called FULL where you can have your products in their distribution centers to give your customers a better shopping experience. An advantage for you is that you create more trust in your customers, your products are packaged and shipped quickly and free of charge by Mercado Libre and you receive support from Mercado Libre for the products that you have in its facilities. The only expense you would pay would be to ship your product to their facilities.
- If you also want to have your own online shopYou can do this by paying a monthly rent of $ 200 and commissions for every sale you make.
The company currently has more than 300 million customers in more than 180 countries / Photo: Christian Wiediger on Unsplash
This company was founded in 1995 by Jeff Bezos in Seattle, Washington. The company currently has more than 300 million customers in more than 180 countries. Amazon may have more requirements than Mercado Libre, but it is an excellent opportunity to boost your business as it has great recognition and very good positioning strategies worldwide.
The key points from Amazon that need to be highlighted are the following:
- To open your account, you will be asked for legal documents in the event that you register your business as a legal entity. Some of these documents are founding acts, RFC (Federal Taxpayer Registry), tax constant etc.
- To publish products, you need to add all the specifications like in the Mercado Libre as title, images and properties.
- This platform charges you a monthly rent of $ 600 and also commissions between 8% and 20% of the sale, depending on whether you publish it with facilities for your customer, e.g. B. months without interest, free shipping, various payment methods, protection for your purchases and returns
- It has a modality called FBA (Processing by Amazon(in Spanish Amazon Logistics), which allows you to have your products in their distribution centers to give your customers a better shopping experience. Some of the advantages for you are that you create more trust in your customers, that your products are packaged and shipped quickly and free of charge with everything and the characteristic smile of Amazon, and that you support all the products you have in their facilities. The only expense you would pay would be to ship your product to their facilities.
- Amazon Prime exists and is a huge advantage For you as a seller, since buyers pay an annual membership that gives them great benefits like free shipping, Amazon Prime Video, and promotions that give you a better shopping experience.
- As part of his strategy, he created Amazon Handmade, which is aimed at all suppliers who manufacture their products 100% by hand (e.g. handicraft products) and in this way involve all entrepreneurs more closely.
3 points to start designing your strategy
Before I enter the world of e-commerce, I recommend three main points:
- Start selling through the marketplaces in order to generate certain income and invest in your e-commerce strategy.
- Create your own website while selling in a marketplace so that you can sell your products without intermediaries and your profits are higher.
- Use marketing campaigns through social networks, Google Ads and other marketing services to promote your company, your products and / or your brand.
Without a doubt, this step will be one of the most fun for your company, and believe me, it will bring great benefits. The ideal time has come for your company or personal brand to be on the Internet and to be advertised 500 percent.