Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has announced that he will denounce the United States to the International Criminal Court (ICC) and the United Nations Security Council for allegedly participating in Operation Gideon to initiate military intervention by the government fall.
“We go to the International Criminal Court, we go to the United Nations Security Council. I gave direct instructions to Chancellor Jorge Arreaza and to the United Nations ambassador, Samuel Moncada, to prepare a strong complaint (…) so that the legal force of the international protection for Venezuela is increased, “he said on Wednesday in a virtual meeting with the State Department press that was collected by VTV.
In the case of the CFI action, Maduro said Venezuela would provide the alleged evidence of US involvement in Operation Gideon to include in the complaint Caracas filed against Washington last February for “coercive measures” unilaterally by the United States government at least since 2014 “against the Caribbean nation, which it regards as crimes against humanity.
According to the Maduro government’s version, “a group of mercenaries and terrorists” who had been trained in Colombia with the support of the United States tried to enter Venezuela on the coast of Macuto in the state of La Guaira on Sunday, but the opposition found it of the Bolivarian National Armed Forces (FANB). At least eight died and about twenty, including two Americans, were arrested.