The Iranian government this Tuesday welcomed the agreement of the internationally recognized Yemeni authorities and the Houthis to exchange more than a thousand prisoners and advocated dialogue as the “only solution” to the conflict.
“The agreement shows that the inter-Yemeni dialogue is the only solution to the country’s current problems,” said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Said Jatibzadé, who has asked for the pact reached between the parties to come into force as soon as possible .
He also expressed Tehran’s wish that the agreement lead to new pacts for the release of the remaining prisoners of war, the start of political dialogue, a ceasefire and the end of “aggression” against the country.
The latest pact is the result of the fourth round of contacts held by the parties in Switzerland last week. According to party sources, several Saudi military personnel are on the exchange list. Both parties agreed in 2018 to release prisoners of war and victims of enforced disappearances.