Skip to content

Iran says the only ones who are glad about Soleimani’s death are Trump, Pompeo and Islamic State

January 15, 2020
El general de Irán Qasem Soleimani y el 'número dos' de las Fuerzas de Movilización Popular, Abú Mahdi al Muhandis

Iranian general Qasem Soleimani and the 'number two' of the Popular Mobilization Forces, Abu Mahdi al Muhandis – Hamed Malekpour

MADRID, Jan. 15 (EUROPE PRESS) –

Iran's Foreign Minister, Mohamad Yavad Zarif, said on Wednesday that the only ones who are glad of the death of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani are the president of the United States and his secretary of state, Donald Trump and Mike Pompeo, respectively, as well as the jihadist group Islamic State.

Iran says the only ones who are glad about Soleimani’s death are Trump, Pompeo and Islamic StateIran says the only ones who are glad about Soleimani’s death are Trump, Pompeo and Islamic State

“The United States did not like General Soleimani, although it was the most effective force against the Islamic State. If you do not believe me, look who is celebrating (his death),” he said during a conference in the capital of India, New Delhi.

“Who celebrates the death of Soleimani? Two people: President Trump, Pompeo and Islamic State,” he said, according to the Iranian television network Press TV.

He has also rejected Washington's arguments to justify the bombing and stressed that “the United States accused Soleimani of trying to start a war against the United States by attacking four of its embassies.”

“We now know that Trump authorized the murder seven months ago … and that there were no threats against US embassies,” he said, before reiterating that Soleimani was in Baghdad “not only to deliver a diplomatic message to the prime minister of Iraq, but also to calm the enraged Iraqis “for the death of 25 militiamen in US bombings days before.

Therefore, Zarif has argued that the bombing against Soleimani “was an unprovoked attack that abused Iraqi territory against an Iraq guest in Iraq.”

In this way, he explained that the subsequent Iranian attacks against two Iraqi bases in which US soldiers are deployed was “an act in self-defense under article 51 of the UN Charter.”

Trump justified Monday again the bombing in which Soleimani died and stressed that “it really doesn't matter” if it posed an “imminent” threat to the country.

The US president has said on several occasions that Soleimani was preparing “imminent” attacks against US targets, although the authorities of the US country have not presented evidence to support these claims.

In this regard, Pompeo said last week that Washington “did not know precisely when and where” he planned attacks Soleimani, although he stressed that they were “imminent.”

For its part, Islamic State applauded last week the death of Soleimani, which he described as “an act of divine intervention” in an editorial published in his magazine 'Al Naba'.

Soleimani died with the 'number two' of the Popular Mobilization Forces (FMP) – a coalition of Iraqi pro-government militias supported by Tehran -, Abu Mahdi al Muhandis, and several Iraqi militiamen, after which Iran promised to take revenge for the attack.

In response to the death of Soleimani, on January 8, Iran attacked two military bases located in Iraq with missiles in which American soldiers are deployed, in which Iran's supreme leader, Ali Jamenei, described Washington as a “slap” .

The president of the United States, Donald Trump, said hours later that the attacks have ended without casualties, although a person in charge of the Revolutionary Guard of Iran affirmed that they have killed at least 80 US military personnel.

For their part, the Iraqi authorities strongly criticized the bombing of Soleimani and the FMP and stressed that this coalition of militias was an important element in the fight against the jihadist group Islamic State.

Thus, the Iraqi Parliament approved on January 5 a motion that requires the expulsion of US troops from the country and obliges the Government to commit to making public any agreement reached in the future for the presence of foreign military advisers and trainers.

During the day of January 6, the Iraqi Executive limited the activities of the international coalition and reduced them to training and advisory work, prohibiting their movements by land and air. Therefore, the coalition against the Islamic State announced on January 9 a “pause” of its military operations in Iraq.

Receive Breaking News !

Install
×
Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks