Skip to content

Iran interprets the European request to renegotiate the nuclear agreement as a lack of commitment

January 18, 2020

MADRID, Jan. 18 (EUROPE PRESS) –

Iran's ambassador to France, Bahram Qasemi, has said that any attempt by the European Union to renegotiate the nuclear agreement with the Islamic Republic, signed in 2015 and now virtually broken, is an attempt to hide the failure of Brussels at the time of respond to the obligations marked by the pact.

Iran thus responds to the decision announced on Tuesday by France, the United Kingdom and Germany to activate the so-called “dispute mechanism”, a mixture of protest and call for dialogue after Iran decided to enrich uranium again in quantities and percentages that are far greater than stipulated in the agreement after the death of General Qasem Soleimani earlier this month in an attack by the United States.

Iran interprets the European request to renegotiate the nuclear agreement as a lack of commitmentIran interprets the European request to renegotiate the nuclear agreement as a lack of commitment

The Islamic Republic, on the other hand, says that the European Union has not contributed in the least to strengthen Iranian foreign trade after the reimposition of the U.S. sanctions, which abandoned the agreement in 2018 unilaterally.

“There is no intelligent politician and aware of what surrounds the agreement that questions this text as the best possible solution,” Qasemi said in his Twitter account. “And any attempt at renegotiation is nothing more than an excuse for the European side to justify its inability to fulfill its commitments,” he added.

The president of the United States, Donald Trump, issued a private threat to European countries on the imposition of a 25 percent tariff on cars in case they did not activate the dispute resolution mechanism of the 2015 nuclear agreement.

Official European sources cited by the American newspaper 'The Washington Post' have confirmed that the threat came days before Germany, France and the United Kingdom resorted to this mechanism, without clarifying whether the warning influenced the decision.

A European official has equated the threat with “extortion” and, according to the information in that newspaper, the European authorities complained privately to Washington about what happened.

Likewise, official sources in the three European countries have stressed that they had already taken the decision and almost backed down for fear of appearing to be following orders from the United States. “We did not want to appear weak, so we agreed to keep the existence of the threat a secret,” said one of the European sources cited by The Washington Post.

Receive Breaking News !

Install
×
Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks