COVID-19 can be spread by contact with drops such as those expelled by coughing and sneezing, as well as by manual contact of surfaces or objects with the pathogen.
4 min read
Every day we hear that the outbreak of the coronavirus COVID-19 is expanding in Mexico, so prevention efforts must be intensified to reduce as much as possible that the virus affects the most vulnerable populations such as constant handwashing, use and antibacterial gel preparation and smart shopping.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), COVID-19 can be spread by contact with drops of body fluids from people infected with the virus such as those expelled by coughing and sneezing, as well as by manual contact with surfaces or objects with the pathogen.
The contagion occurs when people put their hands on the face without disinfecting and allow the virus to enter moist ducts such as the eyes, nose and mouth.
That is why social distancing , hygiene and constant cleaning of the places where we live and work are key factors in reducing the number of infections and avoiding the collapse of health services.
1. Move the furniture
This allows for better cleaning of those spaces that are overlooked all year round.
2. Organize, sort and recycle
It usually happens, that during the year many things accumulate and even, many times they are objects inherited by relatives who do not want to discard, so each drawer, drawer and shelf should be checked to be aware of what to throw away and what do not. For this, you can have some cardboard boxes and identify them to know that you will stay at home, that you will give away or donate. Important! Nothing is saved “in case it is needed later”. What is preserved must have a utility.
3. Disinfection of the different rooms
- Bathrooms and kitchen: The main sources of infection in the home are the kitchen and the bathroom, so cleaning must be thorough. Chlorine and ammonia are great disinfectants, so it is recommended to clean bathrooms, taps, sinks, clothes, cloths, etc. with these products. Clean the cabinets inside, vacuum the shelves and drawers and spray all the interiors and doors with your disinfectant spray.
- Sofas and home clothes: the sofa is without a doubt one of the most infectious spots in the house, especially if you have pets. If it has a cover, remove it and disinfect it in the washing machine. In case your sofa is leather, it is best to clean it with a cloth and a special product for upholstery. Thoroughly clean all household textiles that can be put in the washing machine, such as curtains, bedding, pillowcases or bath towels, always following the recommendations on the labels. You can add a little bleach to the laundry, white or colored as appropriate.
- Other elements: do not forget to clean the daily contact components, such as the doors, cranks, towels, telephone, TV control, etc. Cleaning with ammonia or alcohol is essential to disinfect. If you really want to avoid the spread of the coronavirus, you should disinfect the house properly and with the indicated products.
The WHO recommends taking the following preventive measures so that together we combat any danger:
- The use of disinfectants such as chlorine are essential to eliminate the virus.
- It is suggested that cleaning services be carried out in two steps: cleaning and subsequent disinfection.
- It is recommended that toilets be cleaned and disinfected twice a day.
- Surfaces that have frequent contact should be cleaned more often.
- Frets and clothes should be washed with hot water and soap or specialized detergent.
In offices: making sure that workplaces (tables, desks, chairs) and objects (keyboards, telephones, computers, etc.) are constantly cleaned and disinfected since surfaces touched by employees or clients constantly is one of the main ways in which COVID-19 spreads.