Whether you have a physical business or want to take advantage of the big Good End or CyberMonday sales, now is the best time to be online.
8 min read
The opinions of the employees of You are personal.
Season from End of year shopping it begins amid a “new normal” sparked by the pandemic. With social distancing measures and uncertain prospects for the near future, Mexican micro and small businesses are determined to face the coming months with resilience. According to the results of the GoDaddy Global ship Survey 2020, 36% of Mexican entrepreneurs are considering the possibility of integrating online sales into their current business model due to the COVID-19 situation. 18% say they did so in response to childbirth.
Current data on the pandemic shows that e-commerce, which has increased in recent years, will continue to grow. According to the Mexican Association for Online Sales (AMVO), nine out of ten shoppers are considering making some of their year-end purchases online, while 41% of respondents said they do all of their purchases online digital channels. In addition, entrepreneurs around the world are using this wave of digitization to build and update their online presence, in part with the aim of expanding their customer base outside of their hometown or country. In Mexico, three in ten small businesses started selling online because of the pandemic and adapted to keep in touch with their customers.
This shows us that small businesses must always be one step ahead and use available digital tools to build trust and connect with their current and potential customers. At GoDaddy, we focus on providing entrepreneurs with the tools to help them succeed. Here are some tips on how micro and small business owners can try to capitalize on the busiest sales season of the year.
How do people find you?
We all know that a physical store is not enough today, regardless of the size of the company. According to the National Association of Self-Service and Department Stores, department store and self-service sales fell about 23% in April and continued to decline 3% in August. And while there has been a gradual recovery month after month, there is no doubt that technology has allowed many stores not to have to completely close their doors at the most critical moment of the lockdown.
Whether you have a physical business with an online presence, a 100% digital business, or you want to start a new business to take advantage of the big year-end sales like El Buen Fin or CyberMonday. Now is the best time to be online.
Department store and self-service sales were down approximately 23% in April / Image: Depositphotos.com
Your own online shop on your own website
By creating an online store through your own website, you have full control over how your products are displayed. Here are some additional benefits of creating an online store on your company website:
- You can customize the design of your online store to make it work better for you: Whether you’re offering a physical product, downloadable digital content, or service, you can customize the item name, images, description, and price, include specials and discounts, and even customize the colors and visual design of your store.
- Your turnover, your income: Adding a business to your website can make you forget to pay commissions on every item sold like you do through a marketplace. This can help your profits by generating more income with every sale. Now you can find the best partners to help you produce or fulfill your sales.
- Offer customers payment options: According to AMVO, 32% of people who want to buy during El Buen Fin will do so online as they can use different payment methods: 62% use credit cards, 37% use a digital card and 24% use an eWallet. If you offer your customers multiple payment options, your chances of selling will increase, for example by accepting major credit cards, PayPal or Apple Pay.
- Optimize your business for smartphones: Smartphones are the most used devices (94%) by online shoppers in Mexico. Make sure your online store is ready for them. Use the tools that will make your online store look great and work fine on any device.
Make your business “more human”
People are at the heart of any business: those who built it, those who run it, and those who buy from it every day. To be close to your customers, you need to listen to them and know what they want. In the past few months, multi-channel communication with customers has gone from being an abstract concept for many of us to a fundamental need for all businesses. Although the physical shopping experience seems irreplaceable, the days of waiting for your customers are long gone. Today there is no better way to “make your business more human” than to be where your customers want to find you:
- Social networks: This is the place where creativity is the limit. Evaluate what social network your customers are on and what type of product or service they have. For example, if your business is very visual, Instagram might be your best option. However, if you can tell a story about your product or service, there are several alternatives on the market as well.
- website: Your website can largely be your cover letter. Has it ever happened to you that a company’s social networks are very attractive but don’t have a website to complete your purchase in an agile way? Or that when you enter the site, it may not meet your expectations and it will reduce your trust in the brand? Perhaps your customer interaction is more likely to be on social media, but a website can convey the formality and trust your business needs, and most importantly, where sales are safe. In addition, with the right tools in your online shop, you can easily promote and sell your products on your company page on Facebook in just a few minutes.
- Email Marketing: Email and databases are not out of date, but use these resources carefully and tactfully. You can give a special discount to those who subscribe to your newsletter and communicate in a personalized way about these product launches, special promotions or useful information.
Likewise, we know you want to increase your sales, but just showing off your products and promotions can alienate your customers. You can make your channels an experience and provide valuable content for people. For example, if you sell organic food, you could post recipes for people who use your product in their dishes, or if you run a makeup business, show them how to dress for a special occasion with tips on skin care can. Remember to take advantage of the different holidays of the year and creatively broadcast them on all available channels.
It has never been more important to be online to keep your business open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At GoDaddy, we’re ready to help you keep your business looking professional and functioning seamlessly on all devices. So you are available to your customers wherever they shop during this sales season.