10 min read
The opinions of the employees of You are personal.
- Get out of your debt.
- Keep it real
- Focus on the money.
I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
This isn’t another how to start a business article that gives you general advice and general information that sounds good on the surface but that doesn’t really give you practical advice.
Rather, this article is raw, full of action, and may scare some of you. Read on at your own discretion.
A 2018 study by Bankrate found that only 39% of Americans could have enough savings for an emergency fund of $ 1,000 and 44% could not cover the $ 400 emergency fund out of their own pocket.
Starting a business can be a difficult task regardless of your financial situation, but the lower the economy class, the more difficult it becomes.
If you’re the average person, with an average bank account, normal job, family to support, and bills that consume a large percentage of your income, then the deck is against you.
It takes money to make money. Selling online is all about the eyes. How many people can you see and interact with your offers?
I tell my e-book students, “You can write the best book in the history of the universe, but if nobody sees it, you will never get a sale. On the other hand, you can publish the worst book ever published and with the marketing techniques and having the right finances to secure it will get you first sales, at least until some negative reviews are received.
Photo: Austin Distel via Unsplash
When you start your own website, open a Shopify store, sell on Amazon, social media, or any other online marketplace, you pay for those eyes through ads or fees. Sometimes both. The only possible exception would be those with a large number of active followers on social media.
Bottom line: if you’re the average person without a legitimate budget, you’re in a bit of a mess.
Learn from my mistakes
Sometimes we all need a reality check. I wish someone had sat me down and told me this when I was 23 because I’ve wasted tens of thousands of dollars on failed online businesses over the years and it was money I didn’t have.
I was the average guy with average income, average job, and above average bills. There was a time in my life when my monthly income was minus $ 1,000. I had to take out a personal loan of $ 20,000 to increase my income and pay my bills for a year.
Honestly, I don’t know what the bank thought of giving me this loan, but I’m glad they did because I was seriously considering filing for bankruptcy and if I’m being honest I probably should have should.
This has been one of the worst, most stressful times of my life, and if this article can save a person from the heartache I went through, it will be worth it.
A few years later he supported the United States Special Forces as a military contractor in Syria. While sleeping in a tent, eating canned food, and stealing WiFi from a neighboring country, I started an online job site for aviation professionals with security clearances interested in serving in combat zones.
Photo: Bruce Mars via Unsplash
The website itself became profitable but only made a few hundred dollars in profit per month. It wasn’t a big win, but there was hardly a game in the industry.
The uniqueness of the site, coupled with the audience I was able to build through Facebook advertising, caught the interest of the right people, who took me to just one dinner and eventually consulted with a multi-million dollar company.
Since then it’s been going downhill. Sometimes we just need a single advance.
If I can do it from a tent in Syria, you can do it from your couch. However, it didn’t happen overnight. This is the process I had to go through to get to this point.
Overcome the obstacles for the average person
The mistakes I’ve made that have put me in the worst financial position of my life are the same mistakes many others make every day.
Photo: Michael Rosner-Hyman via Unsplash
If you find yourself in a position where you don’t have expendable income but want to start an online business, please read the following tips carefully:
Keep it real
- Remember, you will not be able to start a legitimate business until you have resolved your own financial problems. It has been hard for me to realize, but I’ve learned that you can have the best business concept in the history of the universe, but if you can’t finance it and do it right, it will never be successful.
- Sell anything you can sell. In particular, liabilities with monthly payments. If it didn’t generate income, I sold it. I’ve lost money on almost everything, but it has paid off in the long run.
- Consolidate your debt and cancel any unnecessary subscriptions. This has enabled me to reduce my monthly obligations, lower the interest rates on certain debts, and pay more of my obligations.
Focus on money
- Look for a better paying job. We often underestimate ourselves and what we can achieve. Get out there and see what’s available. What’s the worst thing a potential employer can say? That’s how I ended up in Syria. I was able to more than double my salary by occupying a position most people wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole. I even loved the job, but at first I just made a personal sacrifice in order to achieve a long-term goal. As an entrepreneur, if you are unwilling to make sacrifices, you are in the wrong direction.
- Use a skill, learn, or try something new. Stop worrying about starting a business and focus on making money. You can make an additional $ 1,500 per month writing content for people blogs, creating social media content, and writing small informative e-books. Here’s a solid clue. If you want to make money you have to be willing to do the heavy lifting. Do the things that people don’t like to do for themselves.
It wasn’t glamorous, but it speeded up my debt payments. I have been able to get the most out of my business by joining specialized forums and Facebook groups. Here’s a solid note: specialty forums and Facebook groups are two of the only places on the internet that you can get these eyeballs for free, but you need to offer something they are actively looking for.
In fact, I had never offered any of the services I offered, but with a little practice and learning from the people on YouTube, I was able to exceed customer expectations.
Start a business and scale up
Once you’re around or debt free and have at least $ 2,000 to invest, it’s time to start your online business.
This is the process I like to follow:
- Don’t think of big companies. Better start small and build. Use the new skills you’ve learned to make extra cash during your debt settlement phase and start something that you know can be profitable. We all have our dream businesses, but at this point it’s more important to start something stable and risk-free. Learn to get excited about the process and the business in general, not a particular idea or concept.
- If you have a steady flow of business, find out how to outsource to freelancers. Implement processes to get out of the equation to the point where you just manage the business and deal with customers. That way, you can keep getting business income but you can work on your next business.
- Take the profits from the first business and invest them in your next business concept. Ideally, you will only invest the profits from business number one in business number two. This way, you can continue to accumulate your personal savings from your daily work while investing in online businesses.
- Rinse and repeat
Do not rush. Enjoy the trip.
Personally, I would like to run three to five companies at the same time. Two or three of them will be low-level heavy-duty companies that will fund my ideal businesses.
Photo: Jackson David via Unsplash
Hard work businesses are profitable because everyone hates doing their own hard work. That’s why people pay to have their homes cleaned and lawns cut.
You can scale easily and successfully without having to invest your earned money in your full-time job. That way, you can keep saving and growing financially while building something real.
Starting a business can be difficult and is a process that shouldn’t be rushed.
It’s actually a pretty straightforward process if you are patient.
- To fix you
- Focus on money
- Start with something low risk
- Invest the profits in other business concepts
- To repeat
In my opinion, this is the only process that gives the average person the best chance of building a successful online business.