The Hong Kong authorities have said they will keep the trial of the 15 activists arrested earlier this month, including magnate Jimmy Lai, open, while police have had to intervene again to clear a protest against the government’s massive resumption Demonstrations last year after the corona virus threat was reduced.
Hong Kong chief secretary Matthew Cheung Kin Chung and Justice Minister Teresa Cheng Yeuk Wah have defended themselves against international criticism of the April 18 arrests. Lai and the rest of the activists, veterans of the protests, were accused of organizing and participating in the unauthorized marches on August 18, October 1 and 20 of the same month.
These marches were part of the civilian protest movement against a suspended Chinese extradition law, which critics said was trying against the territory’s judicial independence.
After confirming that the detainees would appear before a judge on May 18, the Justice Minister rejected criticism of the transparency of the trial.