News

Female student in custody after two shot at Los Angeles middle school

A teenage girl was taken into custody after two students were shot at a Los Angeles middle school on Thursday, authorities said.

The gunfire wounded a 15-year-old boy, who was shot in the head and is in critical condition, and a 15-year-old girl, who was struck in the wrist and is in fair condition, the Los Angeles Fire Department said.

Three other people — a 30-year-old woman, an 11-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl — suffered minor injuries and were taken to local hospitals, the fire department said.

Image: Shots were fired at Belmont High School in Southern California on Feb. 1, 2018.Image: Shots were fired at Belmont High School in Southern California on Feb. 1, 2018.

Shots were fired at Belmont High School in Southern California on Feb. 1, 2018.KNBC
Female student in custody after two shot at Los Angeles middle school
Female student in custody after two shot at Los Angeles middle school

The shots erupted shortly before 9 a.m. at Sal Castro Middle School, just west of downtown Los Angeles. The campus remained on lockdown but was declared safe.

Aerial footage on local television showed a girl being led out of the school in handcuffs. It was not immediately clear if she was the student in custody.

“With the suspect in custody, the situation is under control,” Sgt. Edward Bernal of the Los Angeles Unified District Police Department told the Associated Press.

A gun was recovered from the scene, Bernal told local television station KTLA-TV.

The violence in Los Angeles follows two school shootings in the U.S. last week. A 16-year-old suspect opened fire at a Texas high school on Jan. 22, wounding a teenage girl. And a 15-year-old boy opened fire at a Kentucky high school, killing two students and wounding 18 other people.

This is a developing story. Refresh for updates.

Similar Posts