Dozens of protesters have gathered next to the headquarters of the National Electoral Process Office (ONPE) to express their opposition to the first post-election results this Sunday, which put Keiko Fujimori at the helm with a narrow advantage over Pedro Castle.
The demonstrators, who condemned the figures shown so far and spoke of alleged electoral fraud, have called a vigil, which in principle will continue until the final results of the ONPE are known.
According to information from the RPP station, there have been metropolitan areas near the headquarters as well as several attempts to penetrate the constituency. The police have warned that they are working to prevent the passage of demonstrators.
Those in attendance would have traveled to the intersection of Washington and Chincha Avenues in Lima, where they would have criticized the alleged fraud that would bring Fujimori victory in a very tight competition.
However, more than 30 members of the police special services were deployed on site and stopped the demonstrators. The official results are expected to be announced this Monday around 11:30 p.m. However, the government has imposed a curfew from 11:00 p.m.
With a majority of 81.7 percent, Fujimori from Fuerza Popular is in the lead with 51.2 of the votes, while Castillo from Peru Libre received 48.7 percent of the vote.
Fujimori, who said he received the results “with pleasure”, nevertheless urged caution given the “very small gap” between the two candidates. “With this prudence we will wait for the official results of the ONPE,” he said.
He argued that the election campaign was over and that it was now “necessary to find space for dialogue between all political forces”. “The electoral process has divided the country, but despite the divisions, we aim to change for the better,” he said.
“This change,” he stressed, “must be sought by anyone who wins.” “There is no winner or loser here, the unity of all Peruvians must finally be sought here, so I am already appealing to the two groups they voted for and not us,” he said before sending a message to his group who he asked “to defend the votes until the end of the last table”.
For his part, Castillo recalled that the “votes of the provinces” and those of the “regions and rural areas” had yet to be counted. “It is necessary that our votes count, the votes of the provinces,” he said.
With this in mind, he has called for his constituents to rest and asked them to wait for the final result. He also called on the population to be “respectful” with the result.