The government of Azerbaijan on Wednesday denounced an alleged incursion of the Armenian military into its territory during Tuesday and added that the soldiers had “withdrawn” following the “emergency measures” decided by the Azerbaijani army.
The Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense said in a statement posted on its website that “about 40” Armenian soldiers entered the country near the village of Armudlu in the Kalbajar region before determining that there were no clashes.
“The entry of the Armenian armed forces into Azerbaijani territory is another provocation and the responsibility for it lies solely with the Armenian side,” he said. “This incident shows once again that Armenia is trying to worsen the situation on the border between the two countries, contrary to the demands of the international community and Azerbaijan to resolve the problems through negotiation and dialogue,” he said.
For this reason, he stressed that such events “will be avoided with decisive measures” if they recur in the future, and urged Yerevan to “act responsibly” and “respect the borders and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan” as well as “avoid” Provocations that could worsen the situation in the region. “
Baku’s complaints come days after the Azerbaijani government accepted the Russian proposal to set up a tripartite border demarcation commission, and Azerbaijan claimed it captured six Armenian soldiers who were “trying to install mines in the supply routes “. its territory.
In response, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinián stressed that the military was “carrying out technical work on sovereign Armenian territory,” including laying mines “alongside warning signs” to increase border security.
He stressed that what happened was “totally unacceptable” and “because some want an adjustment to the presence of the Azerbaijani armed forces” on Armenian territory, before stressing that the military had been kidnapped and not captured.
Tensions on the Azerbaijani-Armenian border, historically contested by the Nagorno-Karabakh region, have increased since mid-May after several months of relative calm following the fighting in 2020.
Pashinian agreed with the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev and Russia to end the fighting, which began in Nagorno-Karabakh and left more than 6,000 dead, from November 10th. The agreement meant for Armenia the loss of part of the territory that it controlled in this region under Azerbaijani sovereignty, but declared itself independent.