Austria commemorates the victims of the Vienna bomb attack a year ago: “This city is strong”

On Tuesday, Austria is commemorating the first anniversary of the terrorist attack in Vienna by the Islamic State jihadist group, in which four people were killed and twenty injured in the nine minutes that the attack lasted in the center of the Austrian capital.

The Mayor of Vienna, Michael Ludwig, took part in a wreath on a memorial on Desider-Friedmann-Platz and in the presence of the families of the victims of the attack.

Ludwig condemned the attack and passed on his “consolation” to the relatives of the deceased. “On November 2nd, 2020 it left a deep scar in the history of the city,” complained the mayor, who nevertheless emphasized that Viene was “strong” and did not kneel before “cowardly terrorism”.

Austria commemorates the victims of the Vienna bomb attack a year ago: “This city is strong”
Austria commemorates the victims of the Vienna bomb attack a year ago: “This city is strong”

“This city is strong and that also shows that the Union is at the fore in crisis situations,” he said before noting that Austria rejects “any form of terrorism” and stressed that the authorities of the European country “take measures to to counteract this “. “This threat, according to the newspaper ‘Der Standard’.

An event is planned for the afternoon at St. Rupert’s Church, in which President Alexander Van der Bellen will take part; the Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg; the Vice Chancellor Werner Kogler; and other representatives of the Austrian government.

Van der Bellen himself thought of the victims of the “cowardly terrorist attack” through his account on the social network Twitter. “We’ll try to heal the wounds together,” he said. Kogler also alluded to the attack and wanted to remind rescue workers, medical staff and passers-by that “in an emergency situation (…) they offered refuge with an open heart”.

Four people were killed in the attack alleged by the Islamic State and carried out by an “Islamist terrorist” who had previously been convicted of terrorism in Austria. He was identified as Kujtim F., a 20-year-old from North Macedonia who also had Austrian citizenship.

The attacker was convicted of belonging to a terrorist group in late April 2019 after attempting to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State and was released on parole in early December that year. He had sworn allegiance to the new leader of the Islamic State shortly before the attack.

Similar Posts