Clashes between supporters and detractors of the president of Bolivia, Evo Morales, in La Paz – REUTERS / DAVID MERCADO
At least one person has died and more than 60 have been injured this Wednesday in clashes between supporters and detractors of the president of Bolivia, Evo Morales, in La Paz and in the city of Cochabamba.
Groups of peasants have marched through the center of Cochabamba to defend Morales's electoral triumph by dismantling the barriers placed by opposition protesters to block the main streets as part of the “indefinite strike” to which critics with the Government are called.
The peasant march, which takes place within the framework of the protests that have taken place since the presidential elections held last October 20 against the victory of the current president, has encountered a group of opponents at the height of the local headquarters of the Movimiento Al Socialismo (MAS), Morales's party.
There has been a clash with blows and stones that has lasted until the police have intervened with tear gas. The clashes have so far resulted in at least one dead and more than 50 injured, according to information from the local newspaper 'El Debe'.
Limbert Guzmán, a 20-year-old boy, has died at the Viedma Clinical Hospital in Cochabamba after having suffered a cardiorespiratory arrest resulting from clashes in Quillacollo.
The death of Guzman is the third recorded in the framework of the political crisis that has been going through the country since last October 20. Mario Salvatierra, 60, and Marcelo Terrazas, in Montero, died last October 30.
Meanwhile, in the town of La Paz there have been clashes between a group of university students – who reject the election results – and miners – who support Morales – who were in Murillo square, where at least 10 people have injured.
“The most serious case we attended is a person who had the septum deviation that compromised the airway, which was assisted and transferred to the nearest center,” explained a member of the Blue Cross, as the newspaper has collected. The reason'.
The Bolivian Defense Minister, Javier Zavaleta, has denounced the facts and held the leader of the Civic Committee of Santa Cruz, Fernando Camacho, responsible for them, who has managed to arrive in La Paz on Wednesday to deliver a letter demanding Morales resignation, after The failed attempt the day before.
“The people who are provoking the Police are part of clash groups. Thank God they are not many, they are a handful of people who are deliberately provoking the Police,” Zavaleta said.
The protests in Bolivia broke out the same night of the presidential elections held on October 20 due to the sudden suspension of the transmission of official results just when they forced a second round between Morales and the opposition candidate Carlos Mesa.
When he resumed, almost 24 hours later, they granted Morales the first round victory, so Mesa has denounced a “gigantic fraud.” Both called for the mobilization of their own, which has resulted in riots.
In this context, Morales has agreed that the OAS, supported by countries such as Spain, Mexico or Peru, conduct a binding electoral audit. Mesa, on the other hand, does not accept it because it says it is the result of a unilateral agreement between the Government and the hemispheric bloc without regard to the opposition.