The Government says that the information on fatalities is “rumors” without foundation
MADRID, Oct. 10 (EUROPE PRESS) –
At least five people have died in the framework of the protests that have occurred in the last week in Ecuador against the economic reform of the Government, as reported today by the Ombudsman. The Executive, on the other hand, argues that there is only one deceased and crossed out “rumors” other balances.
According to the Ombudsman's Office, among the deceased is Inocencio Tucumbi, leader of the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities (CONAIE) of Cotopaxi.
“We call on the Government to eradicate violence and guarantee the exercise of the right to social protest in a peaceful manner,” said the agency, while expressing its “solidarity” for the victims.
For his part, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ecuador, José Valencia, has indicated in an interview with Europa Press that the Government has no record of such deaths and believes that the news about them is “the result of unsupported information, rumors that run and have no basis in reality. ”
“We do not have any report of deaths from yesterday,” said Valencia, who has specified that, according to the information handled by the Government, the only person killed in the context of the protests is the person who was hit by a vehicle particular.
A 35-year-old man was hit on Sunday on the road between the towns of Cuenca and Molleturo, in the province of Azuay (south), “by a vehicle that apparently fled the place when it was attacked by community members” who kept the road blocked publishes, as reported by the Traffic Commission of Ecuador in a statement.
“He was a protester who had raised a fence with burning tires and when he tried to pass by the side of the road without realizing that there was a car he was hit,” Valencia explained. “It is the only incident we have registered,” he has settled.
On the other hand, the Ecuadorian minister has referred to the balance of injured police who leave the mobilizations. “There are 88 police officers injured in these demonstrations,” said Valencia, who has described them as “extremely violent.”
The origin of the protests is in the economic reform announced by the president of Ecuador, Lenín Moreno, on October 1, the result of the agreement reached with the International Monetary Fund to achieve an injection of 4.2 billion dollars for the country.
The riots broke out two days later with clashes between police and military and looting, which led Moreno to declare the state of emergency, which initially had to be in force 60 days but that the Constitutional Court reduced to 30.
Moreno has offered dialogue to the protesters, clarifying that he will not recover the fuel subsidy, the most controversial measure popularly known as “package”.
However, protesters require as a requirement to sit down at the negotiating table that the Government recover public aid for gasoline and diesel.