The Argentine authorities have registered more than 246,000 cases of the new coronavirus as of Monday, including more than 4,600 that were confirmed on Sunday. This emerges from a new tally, which also includes 28 additional deaths in the past 24 hours.
The Department of Health specifically reported 4,688 new positive results, a total of 246,499 since the pandemic began, while the death toll rose to 4,634. According to the Telam agency, the authorities estimate the death rate at 1.9 percent.
Alberto Fernández’s government tightened measures after the South American country recorded the worst data last week since the first cases of COVID-19 were confirmed. The quarantine generally applies until August 16.
Chief of Staff Santiago Cafiero has said that the executive will investigate the situation on Wednesday or Thursday to see what possible action to take from Sunday. “If we have to be more rigid, we will be,” he said in a statement to Radio La Red.