Today is the International Data Protection Day. And your data, are they safe?
4 min read
The opinions expressed by employees are personal.
No one can argue that the Internet is a launching pad for a digital business l. Regardless of the company's business, we are increasingly seeing Mexican startups that offer their products and services through a website, application or social network. However, not everything is rosy, since all these companies handle a large amount of personal data , which carries a great responsibility. Therefore, if you are an entrepreneur and handle sensitive information , I recommend you continue reading to know the basic points to take care of the privacy of your customers .
Before moving forward, let's go with a small reference. Today is the International Data Protection Day . A date that was born 39 years ago to raise awareness to share best practices on the privacy of personal information. Something that undoubtedly is gaining more weight in a context where the trend takes advantage of the benefits of a digital business.
Moral and ethical responsibility applies to all companies. In addition, it applies to everyone. From a startup to a large corporate, because the authority protects the protection of people's digital privacy equally. While it is true that part of this great responsibility corresponds to users about what sensitive information they share with a company, organizations play a fundamental role in that it is used, stored, managed in an appropriate and transparent way.
Therefore, it becomes vitally important, and even strategic, to promote the correct handling of data through five fundamental points:
1. s are primarily responsible for any effort that is carried out successfully. In other words, it is key to generate a culture on the responsible management of personal data so that all employees understand the sensitivity of the topic. This is an advantage that startups can have over corporate ones, take advantage of it and keep this point in mind from the beginning of your business.
2. It is essential that all those involved in a particular project or product to be developed know and understand the treatment that the data will receive throughout their life cycle to understand the impact they will have on people.
3. Following the previous point, the privacy of customers and users should always be the top priority. In other words, privacy must be by design and not an addition to the final product. Whether an application or a page, include this point from before your first draft.
4. Develop an internal policy of ethical and responsible use of data with special emphasis on the protection of personal data. There are no excuses here, the starting point and reference to fulfill all aspects is the Federal Law on Protection of Personal Data held by individuals (LFPDPP).
5. Be transparent about how personal data will be treated. Here the interactions of the different areas, existing and adding to the business, play a fundamental role in determining what is needed, what is needed, how personal data will be treated, where it will be stored and for how long. In addition, it is a good point to start gaining the trust of your customers.
These recommendations should be the spearhead of companies and institutions to ensure the correct treatment of personal data. We must understand that the online / offline frontier is increasingly difficult to distinguish, since our personal and professional life takes place jumping between both worlds. Therefore, if you are starting or planning to start a digital business, keep in mind that the privacy of your customers is a priority as important as growing sales or subscribers.